Systematic Inequality Solving

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Systematic Inequality Solving

by j41981 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:23 pm
Hi all,
I often come across a DS problem involving inequalities, and though I try to systematically solve it, I either find myself resorting to plugging in, or getting the problem wrong if I don't.

Here's an example: x does not equal -y, is (x-y)/(x+y)>1?

(1) x>0
(2) y<0

Seeing this setup, I would immediately try and simplify the expression. I would group the problem into two scenarios: either (x+y) is (a) positive or (b) negative.

(a) If (x+y) is positive, then you can multiply both sides by that term without flipping the sign, hence the question is asking: is (x-y)>(x+y)? This simplifies further to: is -y>y? I guess this would imply that y must be negative.

(b) If (x+y) is negative, then you must flip the sign after multiplying. The question becomes: is (x-y)<(x+y)? This simplifies to: is -y<y? I guess this would imply that y must be positive.

Statement (1) seems insufficient, since x cancels out in both scenarios. Statement (2) would seem to address both scenarios, and yield an answer.

However, checking by plugging in (as well as looking at the answer) indicates that the answer is E. I've decided maybe I'm forgetting something fundamental about simplifying algebraic inequalities, and so my systematic attempts (as opposed to plugging in) are faulty. Or, maybe Ive set it up correctly but my logic is faulty. Can anyone let me know how they would approach an inequalities problem where one might create "scenarios" based on an algebraic inequality?

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jayofbay » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:44 pm
You are forgetting the case where x=1 and y=-1 the answer at that point is not solvable.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rehanaj » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:00 pm
You are pretty much on the right track. I will start off where you (incorrectly) left off. What I have added is included in square [...] brackets:

(a) If (x+y) is positive, then you can multiply both sides by that term without flipping the sign, hence the question is asking: is (x-y)>(x+y)? This simplifies further to: is -y>y? I guess this would imply that y must be negative.

[ So y < 0, and we have assumed that x + y > 0. This is possible if and only if x > 0. Combining the two, we need x > 0 AND y < 0. Statment 1 is thus not sufficient, because it includes TWO scenarios, one TRUE and one FALSE
x > 0, y < 0 True
x > 0, y < 0 False ]

(b) If (x+y) is negative, then you must flip the sign after multiplying. The question becomes: is (x-y)<(x+y)? This simplifies to: is -y<y? I guess this would imply that y must be positive.

[ So y > 0, and we have assumed that x - y > 0. This is possible if and only if x < 0. Combining the two, we need x < 0 AND y > 0. Statment 2 is thus not sufficient, because it includes TWO FALSE scenarios
x > 0, y < 0 False
x < 0, y < 0 False ]

[We have thus proved that neither statement taken alone is sufficient].

[Now, take the 2 statements together, x > 0 and y < 0 and what you are given, i.e. x .ne. y]

[We have shown that when x > 0 and y < 0, and x + y > 0, i.e. |x| > |y|, then given expression is True.

We have also shown that when x < 0 and y > 0 and x + y < 0, i.e. |x| > |y|, then the given expression is true. But this second part is irrelevant.

Together, thus, given the two conditions stipulated by statements (1) and (2) we can definitively say that the expression is TRUE only if x| > |y|]

To summarize

when x > 0 and y < 0, and |x| > |y|, then given expression is True.

when x > 0 and y < 0, and |x| < |y|, then given expression is False.

Hence 2 statements taken together are therefore not sufficient.]

Rehana

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: Systematic Inequality Solving

by gmat_enthus » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:59 pm
j41981 wrote:Here's an example: x does not equal -y, is (x-y)/(x+y)>1?

(1) x>0
(2) y<0
I will do it with a shortcut

1) x>0. suppose y is also positive. The term (x-y)/(x+y) could be negative or positive depending on whether x<y or x>y respectively. so we have a dilemma here. insufficient
2) Similar concept, since y<0, take y=-k where k>0.
so (x-y)/(x+y) = (x+k)/(x-k). But x could be >k or <k. So the term could be positive or negative. insufficeint

x>0 and y<0. x+y could still be positive or negative, take x=1 and y=-5 and x=5 and y=-1. So the term could be positive or negative. So dilemma still exists. insuff

hence together not sufficient
My 760 | GMAT Preparation Suggestion

destination 760! completed!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: My take on inequalities

by fruti_yum » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:02 pm
Mark Dabral wrote:Please see the attached explanation. This is my first try at a free hand explanation using a stylus and a writing software. I hope my handwriting is legible.

Cheers,
Mark

I think the answer should be B on this..

If i simplilfy x-y/x+y>1

i should get 2 equations

x-y>x+y or x-y<x+y

Simplyfying it further i get y <0 or y>0 respectively

statement 2 gives us clearly that..

Anyone else agree with me??

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:01 pm
What is oA

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: My take on inequalities

by qwe12 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:46 am
fruti_yum wrote:
Mark Dabral wrote:Please see the attached explanation. This is my first try at a free hand explanation using a stylus and a writing software. I hope my handwriting is legible.

Cheers,
Mark
fruti_yum you seem to have ALL the wrong answers.