set 21 q 6

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

set 21 q 6

by radhika1306 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:51 am
Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.
A. cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are
B. cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
C. cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are
D. cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
E. cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by optimisticsam » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:59 am
I am going to go with E on this. But I can't explain why. Just sounds correct.

But I may be wrong. ;)

by radhika1306 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 am
correct , why prefer "but they are " over "although"

by kajcha » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:02 am
although is changing meaning of the sentence.. IMO

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

that's correct

by mridul12 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:52 pm
As mentioned, although changes the meaning.

Additionally, Although is an Subordinating Conjuction, which introduces a subordinate clause. Clause should AT LEAST have a Subject and a Verb.

For example : Although I (SUBJECT) hate (VERB) GMAT, I have to study well for GMAT.

Followed by:6 members

by BTGmoderatorRO » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:00 am
Option A.
This is the correct answer. This option carries a comma(,) after 'cousin', unlike other option that had a semicolon after 'cousin'. It is important to know that a semicolon is used to express more of the preceding word. To show that explanation for it still continues.

Option B.
The use of 'although' here is supposed to be used to introduce a clause for concession.
But it's not acting a such here, this renders the option invalid.

Option C.
This option suffers same fate an option A above, the use of although is practical wrong, and a preferred use of 'but are' is the best approach.

Option D.
'Cousin;' the use of a semicolon here is to used to express or expatiate on an element the more. So, if we say the 'Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins' the adjectives that preceded the 'cousin' is not for it.

Option E.
This option looks correct but I think it is improper and a tautology to use ; they are'. We already know that 'they' sop there's no point using ' they' again.