How to Proceed with my MATH Preparation !

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

How to Proceed with my MATH Preparation !

by Uva@90 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:17 pm
Hi GMAT Experts and Others,
I took GMAT OG13 Maths Problems to know where I stand.
Since I cracked GRE maths With 95 percentile, I thought I can crack GMAT Math too.(But I am wrong :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: )
So, without any preparation for 'Problem Solving type' question I written it. And with some preparation I have taken Data sufficiency Questions.

Now, I realized that I should improve a lot and lot.

I have included my results in below image,

Experts I am aiming for High Score In QUANTS. So, With my above results please help me which topics should I cover and which Books will be helpful for preparation. Or else Should I take class for Complete GMAT Quants.
Since I have Plenty of time for GMAT Exam(Not yet booked, With Complete Preparation I plan to book for my exam)time is not an constraint.

I thank in advance.

Regards,
Uva.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:13 pm
Hi Uva@90,

This table seems to prove that you're solid in all major Quant categories IF you're working out of a book without the pressure of a clock and without the wear-and-tear of working on a computer.

How do you perform on practice CATs though? Have you taken any over the last month?
If so, then what were your scores? And what were the breakdowns for the Quant section?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Uva@90 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:00 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi Uva@90,

This table seems to prove that you're solid in all major Quant categories IF you're working out of a book without the pressure of a clock and without the wear-and-tear of working on a computer.

How do you perform on practice CATs though? Have you taken any over the last month?
If so, then what were your scores? And what were the breakdowns for the Quant section?

Rich
Hi Rich,
Firstly I would like to thank for your response.

Coming to your question, Yes I attempted all OG questions Un-Timed.

I haven't taken any Practice CAT's. Do you want me to take Practice test?

Please suggest me how should I improve my scores better.

Thanks In advance.

Regards,
Uva.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 pm
Hi Uva@90,

We need to see how well you perform under Test-like conditions. Your "table" shows that you're getting plenty of questions correct, but we still need to see if you retain your skills on an adaptive Test and handle the time limitations well.

Once you've taken a CAT, then be sure to post your scores here and we can review the results.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Uva@90 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:19 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Uva@90,

We need to see how well you perform under Test-like conditions. Your "table" shows that you're getting plenty of questions correct, but we still need to see if you retain your skills on an adaptive Test and handle the time limitations well.

Once you've taken a CAT, then be sure to post your scores here and we can review the results.

Rich
Rich,
Sure I will take test and post my scores.

I thank once again for your advice.

Regards,
Uva.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Sunill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:46 am
Congrats Uva, you are doing very well in Quant. But you do have to solve OG questions timed so that you are well prepared for the test. Manhattan book are the best out there. They cover quant and verbal and are comprehensive and well laid out. Try to get a hold of them. With each strategy guide you buy, you also receive access to their adaptive CATS!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:57 am
I respectfully disagree with Sunill.

I believe that, early in one's prep, there's a danger in focusing too much on your timing. In my view, this focus has the potential to actually hinder your preparation. I feel so strongly about the whole timing issue that I wrote two articles about it:
- Making Friends with Time on the GMAT - Part I (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/06/ ... mat-part-i)
- Making Friends with Time on the GMAT - Part II (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... at-part-ii)

Executive Summary: Use a timer, but only to get an idea of what 2 minutes feels like. Later on (once you've covered all of the content), you can start working on your speed.

Executive Summary of the Executive Summary: Content First - Speed Second

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Uva@90 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:37 am
Sunill wrote:Congrats Uva, you are doing very well in Quant. But you do have to solve OG questions timed so that you are well prepared for the test. Manhattan book are the best out there. They cover quant and verbal and are comprehensive and well laid out. Try to get a hold of them. With each strategy guide you buy, you also receive access to their adaptive CATS!!
Thanks Sunil.
ya I plan too buy that book.

Regards,
Uva.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean

by Uva@90 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:42 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:I respectfully disagree with Sunill.

I believe that, early in one's prep, there's a danger in focusing too much on your timing. In my view, this focus has the potential to actually hinder your preparation. I feel so strongly about the whole timing issue that I wrote two articles about it:
- Making Friends with Time on the GMAT - Part I (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/06/ ... mat-part-i)
- Making Friends with Time on the GMAT - Part II (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... at-part-ii)

Executive Summary: Use a timer, but only to get an idea of what 2 minutes feels like. Later on (once you've covered all of the content), you can start working on your speed.

Executive Summary of the Executive Summary: Content First - Speed Second

Cheers,
Brent
Brent,
I too agree with this part
Content First - Speed Second

Regards,
Uva.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean