Although energy prices have tripled

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members

Although energy prices have tripled

by BTGmoderatorDC » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:28 pm
Although energy prices have tripled in the United States over the last two years, research indicates few people to have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor are they making fuel efficiency a priority when shopping for cars.

A. few people to have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor are they making

B. few people having significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made

C. that there are few people who have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor having made

D. that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do and are not making

E. that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made

Why Option A isn't the correct option?

OA E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:57 am
lheiannie07 wrote:Why Option A isn't the correct option?
to indicate = to show.
A: research indicates few people
Here, what does research show?
It shows FEW PEOPLE.
Not the intended meaning.
Clearly, research does not show the existence of few people.
Eliminate A.

The intention here is to discuss not the EXISTENCE of people but what people HAVE DONE.
To convey this meaning, we must include that, as in the OA:
Research indicates THAT few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do.
Here, what does research show?
It shows THAT FEW PEOPLE HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED THE AMOUNT OF DRIVING THEY DO.
This meaning makes sense.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3