Took the GMAT today 660--dissapointed

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Took the GMAT today 660--dissapointed

by bensanderson » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:00 pm
660, 86th percentile: Verbal 41, 90th percentile; Quant 40 64th percentile

My overall score is okay but i wanted an 80th percentile/80 percentile split. I was wondering if anyone knows what the lowest raw score is for 80th percentile in the math section. 45? i'm going to take it again!

I didn't even study for the verbal section but i studied for the math section for almost 6 weeks and i feel dissapointed that my score was not higher. i'm going to need some new strategies to raise that math score.

in the math section, i got a lot of DS problems and a lot of inequalities. does this always happen? i only got 1 triangle question.

also, does the OG 10th edition contain the same or different questions than the OG11?

thanks
good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
bensanderson wrote:660, 86th percentile: Verbal 41, 90th percentile; Quant 40 64th percentile

My overall score is okay but i wanted an 80th percentile/80 percentile split. I was wondering if anyone knows what the lowest raw score is for 80th percentile in the math section. 45? i'm going to take it again!

I didn't even study for the verbal section but i studied for the math section for almost 6 weeks and i feel dissapointed that my score was not higher. i'm going to need some new strategies to raise that math score.

in the math section, i got a lot of DS problems and a lot of inequalities. does this always happen? i only got 1 triangle question.

also, does the OG 10th edition contain the same or different questions than the OG11?

thanks
A 41 on verbal is very impressive--especially given the fact you didn't prep for it! You are correct--you will need to score in the mid to high 40s on the math section to get into the 80th percentile...

With regard to your question on inequalities--they are quite common on the GMAT. I would recommend studying the OG books to familiarize yourself with strategy for attacking these types of questions.

Finally, OG 10 and OG 11 are both great books for practice GMAT questions. Please check out this thread to get info on differences between the two editions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=152

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:18 pm
look!! we hv different case here.!
V 90%
Q 64%. major in English? COOL! its reverse usually.
dear Ben,
Q 46
V 36
ll take u above 80%tile level. though it changes periodically ( %tile figures i mean)

OG11 has different sets of items presented than OG10.
all the best.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bensanderson » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:39 pm
Thanks guys.

I'm going to buy the OG Quant Review and work through those problems again and again and in a more systematic fashion. I'm also going to actually study for the verbal section. i am positive that most if not all my incorrect answers were in the sentence correction questions--toward the end i got bored and just wanted to finish the test and i didn't carefully check each answer.

i also realized i should also take the offcial practice GMAT tests (I took a manhattan GMAT practice test and it was pretty hard). The problem is that I am a mac owner and the gmat powerprep software only works on PCs. Guess I'll have to go to my parent's house and dig out my old college desktop from the attic and get to work!

I'm really enjoying the site. Thanks.

And to the fellow in mumbai, i wish you good luck raising that verbal score. let me know how it turns out.
good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:43 pm
Best of luck with your prep! I encourage you to use this forum if you need any help...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

to whom u r addressing?

by aim-wsc » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:28 pm
fellow in mumbai? ??
is it me? or gdhiman?