00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Abby, Brandon, Cedric, and Deirdre are planning to attend a concert. If their friend Kim also goes with them, they will get a group discount on their tickets. If the total price of the tickets with the group discount is the same as the total price of the tickets without the group discount, how much is the discount?

A. 5%
B. 10%
C. 20%
D. 25%
E. 33%

The OA is C.

Let A, B, C and D individual tickets be X and total tickets is 4X.

Now with Kelly, they get a discount, total tickets here is 5x.

We are told that group discount is same as total price without discount..

When we need to solve 5X till we get 4X..

Take options..5X - 5%(5X) = 5x - (0.05)(5X) = 5x - 0.25X = 4.75X...not same as 4X..
(B) 5X - 10% of 5x => 5x - (0.1)(5x) = 4.5X, which is again not equal to 4x. So, this is not the correct option.
(C) 5X - 20% of 5x => 5x - (0.2)(5x) = 4X, this is same as 4X...no need to do other options..

IMO option C is the correct answer.

Has anyone another strategic approach to solve this PS question? Regards!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 am
AAPL wrote:Abby, Brandon, Cedric, and Deirdre are planning to attend a concert. If their friend Kim also goes with them, they will get a group discount on their tickets. If the total price of the tickets with the group discount is the same as the total price of the tickets without the group discount, how much is the discount?

A. 5%
B. 10%
C. 20%
D. 25%
E. 33%
The total price for 4 people (A, B, C and D) is the same as the total price for 5 people (A, B, C, D and K).
Let the total price = the LCM of 4 and 5 = $20.
If A, B, C and D pay a total price of $20, the price per ticket = 20/4 = $5.
If A, B, C, D and K pay a total price of $20, the price per ticket = 20/5 = $4.
Since the $5 ticket price is reduced by $1 when Kim attends, the discount = 1/5 = 20%.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am
AAPL wrote:Abby, Brandon, Cedric, and Deirdre are planning to attend a concert. If their friend Kim also goes with them, they will get a group discount on their tickets. If the total price of the tickets with the group discount is the same as the total price of the tickets without the group discount, how much is the discount?

A. 5%
B. 10%
C. 20%
D. 25%
E. 33%
We can create the equation in which p = the regular price and n = the percent of the discount:

5p(1 - n/100) = 4p

(100 - n)/100 = 4/5

5(100 - n) = 400

500 - 5n = 400

100 = 5n

n = 20 percent

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage