Help needed with School Selection

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Help needed with School Selection

by ikant » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:03 am
Hello folks,

I would really appreciate if people here could help me with shortlisting of schools. I would briefly encapsulate my profile highlights:

1. Work Experience: I am an IT engineer with 4 years of work experience that is marked with top appraisals. I head a team of five engineers and am working on development of a unique product (a speacial parser).

2. Education: I have done Computer Engineering and graduated with University Gold Medal(in a class of 300 students) and an OGPA of 8.7/10. My entire undergrad was funded by the Dean Merit Scholarship.

3. Extra Curric: I have been vey active in both literary and sport activities. I am an avid debator and dramatist. I have won laurels at International debate competitions and am a member of ToastMasters International. I have also produced Research papers on AI that have been acknowledged at National Festivals of BITS and MMMREC. I am a very good tennis and cricket player and have played for my chool and latyer for University teams. I have won the District Tennis championship twice.

4. Hobbies: I am a vaoracious reader and reads varied subjects ranging from politics to philosophy dotted by fiction and wahterver else you may think. I am a big fan of movies and plays.

5. Career Goals: I am immensely passionate about the equity markets and seek to switch careers from a IT Consulting domain. My aspiration is not without substance, since I have worked as a part time trader for a private partnership where I managed a sizable corpus on the Indian capital markets. I am well versed in Trading startegies and valuation principles. I seek to gain experience in this business to help me start my venture in Financial liteacy for Indian middle class. My business plan for this venture has been recognised by Economic Times Ideas and even by some incubators.

6. Scores: I have a GMAT score of 720 and a Toefl score of 118.

Based on these profile highlights, could you suggest a sample list of schools where I can start my research at. I intend to apply this September.
"To do is to be"

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

school selection

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:46 pm
School selection is a very personal venture and it is difficult to recommend specific schools since it's a good idea to go to the best school you can get into that is a good fit culturally and academically. Many of your attributes would fit well at any business school (eg, good GMAT score, involved outside work, good academic background, good professional experience), but the real clues that might point you in a more specific direction would be your interest in high finance and the equity markets. Certainly it is no secret that New York is the financial capital of the world and many of the bulge bracket firms recruit heavily from those schools to replenish their ranks each year. NYU (Stern) is very popular with the Wall Street Set as is Columbia. Having said that, most Wall Street firms can be found recruiting from the top ten or fifteen business schools on the BW rankings or US News rankings, so once you have a cursory look at those top schools, see which ones seem to fit you best culturally and perhaps apply to four or five (even more if you have the gumption). If you are truly committed to a career in sales/trading/markets, then schools in the northeast are probably a good starting point assuming you feel the fit is right. Hope this helps and good luck.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:46 am
Hi I,
To piggy-back off my collegues input, I am a HUGE fan of MBA Admissions Books. They are a GREAT (and cost-effective) way to get a nice snapshot of the Admission process, but also get a sense of top MBA programs. I agree, Northeast MBA programs are great feeder schools into Wall Street, but there are many solid MBA programs with top Finance departments that can also get you where you want to be.

My fav books are "How to Get Into A Top MBA Program" by Moutauk and "Your MBA Game Plan" by Bouknight/Shurm

Good luck,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep