Scored 680 - Is that enough ?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:680

Scored 680 - Is that enough ?

by NewMBAaspirant » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:33 am
Hi,

I gave my Gmat a few days back and screwed it badly. Scored 680(Q49,V33). Wanted to know if this is enough or should i appear for it again?

I am an Indian, did my engineering in 2004 and since then i am employed in a software company, so its an experience of 4.5 years.

My accads are as listed:
HSC : 87.2%
SSC : 81.8%
BE degree : 82.3 % (Honours) in Information technology from a good engineering institute.

My extracurricular are not exceptional but are above avarage. Specially in sports and painting. I too have an overseas(UK) job experience of 1 year when i worked for our European client.

I am aiming for colleges which include Indian school of business, Stern, NUS, INSEAD, Stern, Tuck and a few more.

Is 680 enough or should i go for another shot at GMAT.

Please guide me ?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 am
Dear NewMBAAspirant,

Thanks for your post!

The short answer to your question is that you should retake the GMAT. While a 680 certainly isn't bad, it's below the average at the leading schools on your list like INSEAD, Stern and Tuck. Given that you've only taken the exam once - and that you aren't applying to these programs until the fall - I see no reason not to retake.

If my main points above aren't enough to convince you, then I suggest that you keep in mind the following:

1) At present, your verbal result on the GMAT is below the 70th percentile. This is not only a bit weak (schools prefer candidates to pass the 80th percentile on each section of the exam), but will further cement your status as an 'engineer' (good with numbers not with words) and not as a well-rounded future manager.

2) Your ugrad grades look decent - but I'd need to know what you mean by a "good engineering institute." Did you attend one of the IITs?

3) Your high school performance (HSC/SSC) is not relevant in the MBA admissions process. It will not be considered.

4) While the rest of your profile sounds relatively competitive (solid work experience, international exposure, diverse activities like sports and painting, etc), you still fall into one of the most over-represented portions of the applicant pool (Indian, male, engineer, working in software). As such, you need to outshine your peers wherever possible, and a 680 will not accomplish this.

Feel free to send your CV/resume to [email protected] if you would like to discuss your strategy in greater detail with one of our counselors.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.