Please advice. Thanks in advance!

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please advice. Thanks in advance!

by criduchat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:18 am
Thank you so much for the time and I appreciate any insight you might have on how my chances look in getting into Wharton, Harvard, MIT or Stanford with my profile. (But Wharton especially)

UGPA: 4.0 in Accounting, Graduated Summa Cum Laude and Valedictorian of the Business School (University of Missouri-KC), two time recipient of Future Professional Success Scholarship

Masters GPA: 4.0 in Masters in BUsiness Taxation - USC, Ranked # 1 in Graduating class, Graduate Fellowship Awardee , Commencement Speaker and Recipient of Outstanding Acedmic Achievement award

GMAT: 710 (V:41, Q:46, AWA: 6)

I have a CPA license and scored an average of 96% in all four sections of the exam (Financial accounting, regulations, business environment concepts, and audit)

WE: Currently CFO of printing company in LA, previously worked as consultant in International Tax for Big 4 firm, 3 years of WE @ date of application. Pioneered a consultant feedback program in LA which was then adopted nationally by the firm

XC: Worked for Kaufmann Institute in helping underprivileged kids puruse higher education among others.

Pls. let me know how my chances look and what I need to do in the next few months to improve. Thank you very much.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:11 am
Dear Criduchat,

Thanks for your post!

Here are my thoughts on your profile:

Academics
Your grades in both the ugrad and masters degrees are absolutely superb (hard to beat a 4.0 GPA). While you haven't attended the most prestigious schools, you've clearly secured top marks, scholarships and numerous awards which should help to cover any kind of prestige-gap that may exist. Of course, as you likely know, there are a lot of business ugrads applying to leading MBA programs, as such you may fall into a bit of an over-subscribed portion of the pool.

GMAT
Your GMAT result of 710 is average to below-average for your target schools. Of particular concern is your performance on the quantitative section of the exam - which looks like it may be below the 80th percentile that programs like Wharton like to see their applicants hit. I also worry that your performance on the quantitative portion of the exam doesn't seem to match what one would expect from someone with degrees in accounting and taxation. Finally, I can't help but think that a 710 GMAT with a sub-80th percentile on the math section may serve to drag down your 4.0 GPAs from U. Missouri and USC on some levels.

In short, think of the GMAT as a benchmarking mechanism that allows the schools to compare a 4.0 GPA from U. Missouri's ugrad business program to a 4.00 GPA from U. Michigan's ugrad business program. Your performance on the GMAT could 'color' the perception of your past academic performance.

Work Experience
This sounds promising. If you will be at the three-year mark upon application, I presume that means that you spent 2+ years with the accounting firm? Were you promoted during this time period? The current post you have as a CFO is interesting, as it sounds like you have a nice level of responsibility and perhaps greater exposure to all aspects of business, etc. Overall, my sense is that this aspect of your candidacy will come together fairly well, however, I'd need a lot more information in terms of roles, responsibilities, milestones to fully assess.

Your CPA is a solid professional credential and a nice addition to your profile. Keep in mind, however, that this is not viewed in the same light as your academic track record or GMAT result. It tends to be assessed as a component of your professional background. As such, a strong result on the CPA (not something the adcom really gets very granular on) isn't going to balance a lower GMAT, etc.

XCs
If memory serves, the Kauffman Foundation is located in Kansas City. As such, is this something you did while in college? What have you done since your move out west? Do you have any hobbies that you pursue regularly (sports, music, etc)? Keep in mind that one area that accountants struggle with in the admissions process is proving that they do not fall into the "Good with numbers, not with people" stereotype. Diverse XCs are a great way to make this case.

Conclusion
As to your question about H/W/S and MIT, my sense is that you could certainly be competitive - but at this point there are too many gaps in terms of the information you've provided in order to judge whether you'll make the cut. In order to provide you with a full assessment, I'd need to better understand your history with the GMAT, your career accomplishments to date, the extent of your XCs (they seem thin at the moment) and your ultimate career plans . Feel free to post that information here to continue to this discussion, or send your resume to [email protected] and set up a free phone assessment with one of our counselors. We offer a 30-minute phone session to any MBA applicant.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.