UCLA Anderson with a 620 - gmat pwned me, but I still win!

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi there!

I’ve been meaning to write this for a while now to say thank you to Beatthegmat.com for all the support and assistance. I’ve spent a lot of time combing these forums for guidance and mental back-up as I’ve obsessed on b-school apps and the gmat in general. I just want to let you know that I was successful in getting into my target school and let others know that it is indeed possible to do with a less than “perfect” application.

I applied to only two programs, both part-time, USC and UCLA. I was waitlisted at USC and became very very worried. Shortly after I received an email from the UCLA adcoms asking if I would be willing to move my app from the part-time program to the Executive program. I figured it couldn’t be a bad sign and agreed. I interviewed with the part-time program first and it went really well. I was then asked to come in and interview with the Director of the Exec program as well. She asked that I enroll in a Stats course to improve my quant ability and “underline my commitment to the program,” which I did (of course!). She also offered to ask the head of their career center to help me look for a job as I had just been laid off (I’m in real estate finance, go figure). I received a call from the Director two weeks later letting me know that I would be offered admission. I can’t tell you how excited I am! I just attended the first meet and greet/networking event with the other students and I can’t tell you how impressive they are! All executives, industry leaders, and business owners! Very very accomplished and ambitious people and all very down to earth and helpful.

I originally thought that I had a pretty decent chance at USC Marshall and threw the UCLA Anderson “Hail Mary” on the recommendation of a co-worker that is in their part-time program. I am soooooo glad I took her advice. I never would have thought I could get in with such poor GMAT scores. So if anyone is out there that is feeling like it can’t be done, please know that it is possible. There is no ‘perfect candidate,’ just write essays that speak from the heart and be willing to convey what it is you are trying to accomplish. You just need to submit a rounded out application that clearly states your goals and what you want to achieve. If you are able to meet the school minimums and come across as a real person with real goals, you have a much better chance of success! If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks again,
Eric

My background:
34 years old
San Diego State Undergrad: History
University of California Prof. Certificate – Real Estate
4 years exp in real estate multifamily asset management/finance/light Business Intelligence
5 years exp Hospital lab assistant (school job)
6 years exp account manager for world-wide soft drink company
GPA: 3.23
GPA last two years:3.61
GMAT – Took ManhattanGMAT – I highly recommend these guys!! I spent the better part of 6 months studying for the GMAT and saw some improvement, about 50-75 points.

Pract. Test 1-mgmat 590 Q36 V34
Pract. Test 2-mgmat 450 Q28 V25
Pract. Test 3-mgmat 590 Q36 V34

My son was born here and I took time off studying for 3 months. The remainder of work was done on 4 hours of sleep a night with a newborn.

Pract. Test 4-mgmat 490 Q23 V34
Pract. Test 5-mgmat 550 Q35 V31
Pract Test mba.com 500 Q28 V31

Real GMAT 1 560 Q32 V35
*GROAN* Studied for another month and retook.

Test 6-mgmat 640 Q45 V33
Real GMAT 2 620 Q35 V40
*GROAN* again, but out of time to retake as it was mid R2. I strongly feel that if given another month or two, I could have brought up my score another 50 pts.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:51 am
Congratulations :) .