Profile Evaluation-top 15 US B-schools?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Profile Evaluation-top 15 US B-schools?

by adm209 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:23 am
Hi,
I am a final year mechanical engineering student (female)from an above average university in India. My university doest follow the gpa system but my percentage marks is around 74%. The topper has around 84%. My college extracurriculars are good- won a few debates, student council member, position holder in societies, have a couple of publications. I have scored 730 on the gmat. I plan to take a 2-3 work experience in the automobile manufacturing sector in India and then apply to top 10 mba colleges in the US, ISB and Spjain(in India). What are my chances of getting into top 10 US colleges after a couple of years?..I have admits from average Indian B-schools through CAT right now...should I forgo those an apply through GMAT to US colleges later?...And what is the conversion rule for convrting percentage into gpa?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:59 am
Dear Adm209,

Thanks for your post!

It sounds to me as though you have the beginnings of a solid profile for business school. You've performed well in school, secured a competitive GMAT score and managed to stay active with outside interests at school. I would be curious to know which ugrad you are attending, is it one of the IITs? Is it a program that US admissions officers will be familiar with?

In terms of next steps, I like the idea of your pursuing employment for 2-3 years in the automotive sector before applying to US programs. Beyond this, you'll want to continue to lead an active life outside of work/school, ideally staying focused on 1-2 core hobbies/community service pursuits. You'll also want to reflect on a longer-term career plan (presumably in the auto sector, or a field that relates to your post-undergraduate pursuits) and get to know as many of your target schools as possible (by reading up on the programs, etc). If you can follow this plan and stay devoted to it, I like your chances at some of the top schools in the US as well as at the ISB, etc. While Indian engineers with 730s on the GMAT aren't exactly a rarity in the admissions world, the fact that you are female should help you stand out from the broader pool somewhat.

In terms of your specific questions:

1) GPA conversion? This will vary from school to school (as many do not ask that you convert at all), but there are services out there that provide independent/official conversions. My sense is that if you finished in the top 10-15% of your class, you will want to promote that element more so than focusing on the conversion.

2) B-school now (at an average Indian program) or later (at an international, high-ranked program)? If you have a solid job offer lined up and are convinced that you can spend 2-3 years with the employer, explore opportunities for growth, etc, then I see no reason not to enter the workforce now and pursue some top MBA programs in a couple of years time. Of course, some of this depends on where you want to work in the long-run. If you envision an international career, pursuing a top MBA program is a no-brainer. If you expect to remain in India and pursue a very regional career, there may be arguments one could make in favor of starting b-school now... Having said that, I am a big believer in the value that one gets out of a business school AFTER having been out in the professional world already - since this is very different than starting a business program without having worked in the professional world.

Thanks again for your post.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by adm209 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:39 am
Thanks a lot for your help Graham
I am doing Mechanical and Automation Engineering from IGIT (Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology), Guru Gobing Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi. Unfortunately its not one of the IIT’s, which are the best for engineering here.
10th board: 85%
12th Board: 84.6%
Ugrad : 74% ( though i dont think il be in the top 10%...we dont get ranks)

I am not too rigid about staying in India, though it would be better. I could probably work abroad for a few years and then come back here....may even get settled abroad...flexible on this front as of now...another query...is it possible to get jobs in India from there itself?

I am planning to get attached with an NGO and do social work for 2 years simultaneously. In India there is a lot of scope for such activities.

I am also thinking of doing an internship with a bank or do a technical paper in the two months i have free. Do u think either of these will help?