Profile Evauation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evauation

by MBA123 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:05 am
Hi,
I saw your valuable suggestions here, so though of asking about my profile.

Here are some of the main points of my profile..

GMAT score - 700

Education
B.Sc. (Geology, Physics, Maths) - INDIA - 72% - topper of class
M.C.A. (Masters in computer applications) - INDIA- 78% - topper University

Total work Experience - 7 years. (IT Engineer,Entrepreneur ( Immigration, Insurance, Sales), Research scholar)

From last 3 year - Entrepreneur (UK) - Started and running my company in the UK with profit since first year of business with overseas expansion. Main area of work was Immigration Services, S/w Product development and sales.

Before that 3 years (UK and India) I was working with Oracle corp and SAP Labs. and provided ERP consultancy.

Before that I was working as an entrepreneur and doing business of Insurance in India, with ICICI prudential.

I was also a part of AI research project for the development of a smart AI system.

Social contribution : Part of fundation member of 2 NGO and charity organization.

Overall my CV is full of variety.

I am planning to target Oxford, Cambridge, Cranfield, Machester.

Please advise about my chances for these institutes.

As I am in UK, I want to join some college in UK only. Also advice if you feel that as an entrepreneur I will get some priority, if yes then where and how.

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:16 am
Dear MBA123,

Thanks for your post!

My thoughts on your profile are as follows:

1) Academics
You've clearly done well in all of your academic coursework. Did you attend a top school in India? I presume that you did not go to an IIT, given your focus on geology/math/physics as opposed to engineering? While your computer applications/IT-focused masters degree is relatively common for Indian MBA applicants, you did well in that program as well, which should underline your strong performance in a classroom environment.

2) GMAT
Your GMAT score of 700 is solid - although I'd like to know the exact percentiles for math and verbal to see how balanced you are. Given your math/science background, the schools will expect a strong showing on the quantitative section (e.g. better than the 80th percentile). At the same time, they will be looking carefully at your verbal result to ensure that your communications skills are up to par (for classroom participation, writing, leading a business, etc). If you are looking at the four schools you mentioned (Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester and Cranfield), this score should certainly be competitive, albeit not groundbreaking (as Indian applicants often score very highly on the GMAT).

3) Career
Your career trajectory is rather non-traditional and could appear haphazard if you don't market it properly via your essays. You've moved from insurance to ERP to immigration services, etc. You'll need to effectively explain this path as well as showcase your plans for the future and how those plans 'fit' with your past experiences. You will absolutely win points for being an entrepreneur, but the flipside is that the bar will be raised somewhat higher in terms of vetting the work you've done, since the adcom will not be familiar with your company (as they would be familiar with Oracle, etc) and may need convincing as to how much you've accomplished, etc.

4) XCs
You offered only the most limited detail in this regard. The schools like to see evidence of your involvement/leadership outside the office (not just membership), so keep that in mind. You should also keep in mind that XCs are much more than just charity work - for example, perhaps you play an instrument or excel in a sport, etc. The key is to show that you are well rounded and likely to be an active member of the MBA community.

5) Goals
You haven't offered information on this key component of the process.

6) Schools
You should be competitive at the schools on your list - assuming you assemble strong applications with solid essays, supportive/informative recommendations, etc.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are not applying to London Business School? Their program is stronger than the other leading British schools on your list. Also, I presume you intend to work in the UK for the remainder of your career? Is that why you've only focused on UK offerings? If you are looking for a more global career, you might add programs like INSEAD, LBS or even some of the top-tier offerings in the United States. Again, I don't have enough information on your profile to offer specific school-selection guidance, but those are just my initial thoughts.

Feel free to send your resume to [email protected] and set up a free session with one of our counselors if you'd like additional feedback.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.