700.. Should I give it again?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

700.. Should I give it again?

by ambars » Thu May 24, 2007 1:42 pm
Hi,
I gave GMAT today and got 700, V35, Q49.
I am not sure if I should be happy with this or should I go for another attempt.

BTW, I am Ambar, from India, 5 yrs IT work ex, with 3 yrs work ex in US. I am opting for 1 year MBA in India and European Inst like INSEAD and et al.
I checked the sites and found that the average of all European Inst is around 680-690, so the score is good for that. But looking into the Indian colleges, average of ISB is 705 and IIM A 695.
HAd my score be aroud 680, I would have definitly considered for a re-take but with 700 in hand, do I still need to go for another one?

BTW, I have a big collection of notes, which I prepared during examination and will upload in a while.

Ambar
Cheers,
Ambar

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: 700.. Should I give it again?

by beatthegmat » Thu May 24, 2007 3:32 pm
ambars wrote:Hi,
I gave GMAT today and got 700, V35, Q49.
I am not sure if I should be happy with this or should I go for another attempt.

BTW, I am Ambar, from India, 5 yrs IT work ex, with 3 yrs work ex in US. I am opting for 1 year MBA in India and European Inst like INSEAD and et al.
I checked the sites and found that the average of all European Inst is around 680-690, so the score is good for that. But looking into the Indian colleges, average of ISB is 705 and IIM A 695.
HAd my score be aroud 680, I would have definitly considered for a re-take but with 700 in hand, do I still need to go for another one?

BTW, I have a big collection of notes, which I prepared during examination and will upload in a while.

Ambar
Hi Ambar:

A 700 is a great score, congratulations! I'd say it's probably worth your time to retake the test if your college GPA and work experience is solid. If you feel like you are weak in other areas of your application and you want your GMAT to carry you, then it might be worth the effort to retake.

But from what you've described, it sounds like you got the score you need--nice work! :)

Look forward to seeing your great notes!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vanesslondon » Fri May 25, 2007 12:41 am
Well done - excellent score!
I think that score is good enough to get you admitted anywhere.. a few points more won't help your chances substantially, so I wouldn't retake in your position. With such a great score, the determining admissions factor will be your general app, so I would work on that. I know several people at HBS with 680-690 so that is another reason I think you should leave it at that. As you said European business schools have slightly lower GMAT stats anyway.
The worst is behind you!
Congratulations on a brilliant score :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Fri May 25, 2007 3:40 pm
700 is good enough to get you an admit. If you were aiming for a US B school and also for a scholarship, then you might have benefited from a 750+, but for European and Indian schools, 700 is sufficient.