Regarding GMAT eligibility

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Regarding GMAT eligibility

by JohnFernandaz23 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 am
Good evening sir

I Shubhankar Singh, currently an intern at Orientel Carbon and Chemicals is planning to give GMAT exam by next year. I graduated from Delhi University in 2014 from College of Vocational Studies under the course: B.A.(Vocational) specializing in 'Small and medium enterprises' that mainly dealt with entrepreneurship. I had been a bright student and also stood 2nd in my course in 3rd and 4th semesters. But after graduation, due to some family problems, I could not continue my studies and was at home for 2 years. Now, being an intern, I have decided to prepare for GMAT and will be taking test in 2018. As I could not build a strong resume, what are the chances of getting selected in top B-schools, even if i score 700 above.
Please reply at your earliest. Your help will be appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:34 pm
Good question -- that really depends which programs you're applying to. Most top MBA programs traditionally have an expectation of three or more years of full-time professional experience at matriculation, and if you're an unpaid intern, that may or may not count towards this expectation. In the last few years, however, many top schools have been more open-minded about age and experience.

Since your question is pretty general, your first task would be to identify the schools you most want to go to and your post-MBA goals, and then review the average years of work experience of each school's incoming class. That would give you the most accurate information about where you stand in comparison to your potential classmates.

A high GMAT is a definite asset, but MBA admissions is a holistic process, and all of your background components will be taken into consideration. It's great that you're getting the GMAT out of the way soon, but you might want to delay your applications until 2019 if the schools you're applying to do not have a history of taking applicants with your level of full-time experience.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me