Emily Dickinson's letters

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:16 members

Emily Dickinson's letters

by alex.gellatly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 am
Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering
B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ended shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber
C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and that ends shortly before Emily's death in 1886and outnumbering
D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother, ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, and outnumbering
E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber

OG12 26
OA is E
A useful website I found that has every quant OG video explanation:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/useful-websi ... tml#475231

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 am
alex.gellatly wrote:Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering
B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ended shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber
C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and that ends shortly before Emily's death in 1886and outnumbering
D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother, ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, and outnumbering
E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber

OG12 26
OA is E
A: Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson WERE WRITTEN over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, OUTNUMBERING her letters to anyone else.

COMMA + VERBing implies CONTEMPORANEOUS action: an action taking place AT THE SAME TIME as the action of the preceding clause.
Here, the letters WERE WRITTEN over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886.
Thus, quite a few years must have passed before these letters were OUTNUMBERING Emily Dickinson's letters to anyone else.
Since the two actions are NOT contemporaneous, OUTNUMBERING does not convey the intended meaning.
Eliminate A.

In B, begins should not be in the present tense, since the period BEGAN a few years before Susan's marriage.
Eliminate B.

In C, beginning and that ends are not parallel.
Eliminate C.

In D, letters (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by B166418 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 pm
Hi,

Why we are not using famous "which" concept in this question

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 am
B166418 wrote:Hi,

Emily Dickinson's LETTERS to Susan Huntington Dickinson, WHICH WERE WRITTEN over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

Which + PLURAL verb should refer to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun.
Here, the nearest preceding PLURAL noun is letters.
Since letters is the intended antecedent, there is no error.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm
B166418 wrote:Hi,

This is a great question, because this concept can be a bit tricky. We're taught that a ", which..." clause will ALWAYS refer to the noun directly before it. That's true... sort of. Consider the following sentences:

The board of directors, who are all old men, will make some important decisions.

The board of directors, which is meeting tomorrow, will make some important decisions.

As Mitch says, we can use the verb that comes after "which" (or in this case, "who") to determine exactly what is being modified. In the first sentence, only DIRECTORS was being modified. This is clear from the verb, and from the meaning. In the second sentence, though, BOARD OF DIRECTORS is an entire noun idea, and thus we're modifying the whole thing. (Technically, "of directors" is modifying "board," and then the "which" clause is also modifying "board," but I find it more helpful to just think of it as a noun idea). In effect, we're still modifying the noun that comes before the "which" clause, if you think of "board of directors" as all one noun.

In this case, you can use the verbs to decide. You could also use the meaning to decide: In your example sentence, it doesn't make any sense to say that Sue Huntington Dickinson was written! Clearly the letters were written. But the letter were also "to SHD," so we have to use both modifiers: Emily Dickinson's LETTERS (to Susan Huntington Dickinson), WHICH WERE WRITTEN...

Think of LETTERS (to SHD) as a single "noun idea."
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 pm
thank you experts.

this question is typical one in which meaning relation between two verbs is distorted. it is hard one.

do you have any tip/strategy for solving the problem that meaning realation between 2 verbs is distorted.

Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:41 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
alex.gellatly wrote:Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

OG12 26
OA is E
A: Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson WERE WRITTEN over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, OUTNUMBERING her letters to anyone else.

COMMA + VERBing implies CONTEMPORANEOUS action: an action taking place AT THE SAME TIME as the action of the preceding clause.
Here, the letters WERE WRITTEN over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886.
Thus, quite a few years must have passed before these letters were OUTNUMBERING Emily Dickinson's letters to anyone else.
Since the two actions are NOT contemporaneous, OUTNUMBERING does not convey the intended meaning.
Eliminate A.

In B, begins should not be in the present tense, since the period BEGAN a few years before Susan's marriage.
Eliminate B.

In C, beginning and that ends are not parallel.
Eliminate C.

In D, letters (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
thank you Hunt, your explanation is great.I want to add something
"outnumbering can not happen OVER a period as letter were writen". so, modification of outnumbering is wrong.
am i correct?

Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:55 pm
permit me to post one time more.
comma doing is not a separate action from the main clause but an aspect of the main action. in short , action in the main clause and action presented by doing are the same action.
this point nesseccitate that the adverb of the main action must apply to the doing.

"over many years" must apply to "outnumbering".
outnumbering is terminate action, which finish and not happen over a period. outnumbering can not go with "over a period". choice e is wrong.

this is the new idea I figure out. and I have to post second time.