og sc diagnostic 40 ..pc problem fixed

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

og sc diagnostic 40 ..pc problem fixed

by resilient » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:50 pm
In 195 ROchard Stellman, a well known critic of the patent system, testified in patent office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchoff’s laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

a. same
b. laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
c. Laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
d. Laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
e. Laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Answer is A
But what is wrong with B. The “which” refers directly to the laws. I don’t see the problem can someone explain this in the simplest terms to me please.
C. doesn’t the word NAMELY make this redundant?
d. IT IS doesn’t fit the sentence by hearing it out.

Can someone explain this to me in an easy way please
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Vincen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 pm
It is clear that options C and D are not correct. But what happens with option E and B?
B seems correct.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:26 am
Hey folks,

We should notice that there are two elements in our modifying phrase:

an observation about electric current (1) first made in 1845 and (2) now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics

This means that the two elements must have parallel structure. This is true in A, but in B

which (1)was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and (2)it is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics

we get add a subject into the second element. We would never say "which it is now included", so B is wrong.

E we could probably rule out due to concision alone (longer + more punctuation usually = wrong), but it's also wrong for a more subtle reason. A comma + "which" or a comma alone creates a non-restrictive clause, or something that isn't necessary to the sentence. "Who" or "that" creates a restrictive clause, or something that is necessary to the sentence. Non-restrictive and restrictive clauses work differently when paired with "one of the [plural noun]".

If you have "one of the [plural noun] who/that ______", then "______" must be a plural verb.
If you have "one of the [plural noun], ______" or "one of the [plural noun], which ______", then "______" must be a singular verb.

For example:
I gave a bone to one of the dogs that were crossing the street.
I gave a bone to one of the dogs, which was crossing the street.

Since we have a non-restrictive clause ("that"), we need a plural verb.

If you want more info on why who/that works this way with "one of the", check out lunarpower's posts here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/one-of-the-t40356.html

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog