SC|after the drought

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

SC|after the drought

by gocoder » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:33 am
After the 1973 drought's 70 percent total cattle loss, living conditions improved for inhabitants of the Sahel, but these people continue to suffer from the devastating effects of malnutrition.

A.After the 1973 drought's 70 percent total cattle loss, living conditions improved for inhabitants of the Sahel, but
B.Even though Sahel inhabitants' living conditions, which improved over the 1973 drought's 70 percent total loss of cattle
C.Although living conditions for inhabitants of the Sahel improved after the end of the 1973 drought, during which the estimated proportion of cattle lost was 70 percent,
D.While there was an improvement in living conditions for inhabitants of the Sahel after the 70 percent total cattle loss of the 1973 drought, still
E.Despite Sahel inhabitants' living condition improvement from the 1973 drought's 70 percent total cattle loss,

Does A suggest that drought suffered cattle loss.
Is there any other issue with A ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Vincen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 am
Option E should be the correct answer? Am I wrong?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:29 am
Hello!

Answer A suggests that the drought caused the cattle loss, though I can totally see why it's confusing for some readers. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with how it's worded.

If I had to pick a more clearly worded answer, I would go with answer C. It splits up the drought and the cattle loss so it's less confusing to readers. It also creates a stronger contrast between their lives improving and yet still dealing with malnutrition.

I hope that helps. I'm available if you'd like any follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.