In each of the past five years, Barraland’s prison populat

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
In each of the past five years, Barraland's prison population has increased. Yet, according to official government statistics, for none of those years has there been either an increase in the number of criminal cases brought to trial, or an increase in the rate at which convictions have been obtained. Clearly, therefore, the percentage of people convicted of crimes who are being given prison sentences is on the increase.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a) In Barraland the range of punishments that can be imposed instead of a prison sentence is wide.

b) Over the last ten years, overcrowding in the prisons of Barraland has essentially been eliminated as a result of an ambitious program of prison construction.

c) Ten years ago, Barraland reformed its criminal justice system, imposing longer minimum sentences for those crimes for which a prison sentence had long been mandatory.

d) Barraland has been supervising convicts on parole more closely in recent years, with the result that parole violations have become significantly less frequent.

e)The number of people in Barraland who feel that crime is on the increase is significantly greater now than it was five years ago.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm
This is from one of the exams packs.

OA: C

It is a good question for the discussion.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790
richachampion wrote:In each of the past five years, Barraland's prison population has increased. Yet, according to official government statistics, for none of those years has there been either an increase in the number of criminal cases brought to trial, or an increase in the rate at which convictions have been obtained. Clearly, therefore, the percentage of people convicted of crimes who are being given prison sentences is on the increase.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a) In Barraland the range of punishments that can be imposed instead of a prison sentence is wide.

b) Over the last ten years, overcrowding in the prisons of Barraland has essentially been eliminated as a result of an ambitious program of prison construction.

c) Ten years ago, Barraland reformed its criminal justice system, imposing longer minimum sentences for those crimes for which a prison sentence had long been mandatory.

d) Barraland has been supervising convicts on parole more closely in recent years, with the result that parole violations have become significantly less frequent.

e)The number of people in Barraland who feel that crime is on the increase is significantly greater now than it was five years ago.
Premise:
Barraland's prison population has increased.
Conclusion:
Clearly, the percentage of people convicted of crimes who are being given prison sentences is on the increase.

The assumption is that there is NO OTHER POSSIBLE EXPLANATION for the increase in the prison population.
To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer will offer an alternate explanation.

C: Ten years ago, Barraland reformed its criminal justice system, imposing longer minimum sentences for those crimes for which a prison sentence had long been mandatory.
Here, criminals are being LONGER PRISON SENTENCES, providing an alternate explanation for the increase in the prison population and WEAKENING the conclusion that the percentage of people convicted of crimes who are being given prison sentences is on the increase.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3