Scored a 710 with a low quant, should I try again?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Stacy,

I made my first attempt at the GMAT last Thursday, and scored a 710. Obviously I'm happy with this score, but at the same time I'm a little concerned about my Quant score (42 - 62nd percentile). My Verbal was a 44 (97th percentile), and my AWA was a 5.5. I'm also a little bit disappointed in my Quant score because on my last Official GMAT practice test I was in the 79th percentile, an scored a 730 (Q47/V42). I'm seeking your advice as to whether or not I should retake the test, even if only to try to improve my Quant score, but first I should probably give you some additional information about my overall profile.

Undergrad: UCSD - Major - Economics, with minors in Spanish Literature and Political Science

Overall GPA: 3.41; 3.68 in my major, including A's in classes such as Econometrics, Corporate Finance and Calculus. I doubt that it means anything, but I also passed the A/P Calculus exam in High School to get college credit.

I was also a four year letterman on the baseball team, which I believe can be a big selling point on my application since I am planning to apply to fully-employed programs and time managment is a concern for the admissions councils. I am also somewhere between conversant and fluent in Spanish, a language I learned entirely in school and from my time in Argentina post-graduation.

Work Experience: I have worked for a Fortune 100 Insurance carrier for five years. I work as a credit analysist / underwriter for large construction companies and I analyze financial statements on a daily basis. I have received two promotions, and last summer I was was promoted to Assistant Regional Manager of our department, a region that covers all of California with two offices, one in Southern California and the other in San Francisco. I am confident that I cwould receive two excellent letters of recommendation.

My target school is UCLA's FEMBA program, and I also sent my scores to UC Irvine, USC and Pepperdine. I recently turned 29, and I am not entirely certain that I will apply this coming fall, and I may chose to wait another year so that I have additional work experience as a "manager". I'm sure that adding some extraciriculars certainly wouldn't hurt either. In the meantime, in your opinion, do you think I should give the GMAT another shot, especially if I want to have a good chance of getting in to Anderson?

Thanks in advance for your input.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:26 pm
Dear NetQuickObsessed,

I don't know. I think you are competitive for the FEMBA programs at your target schools with your current score based on the other information you posted. It is possible on your second attempt that your quant score will improve, but your overall score could go down. However, it is also possible you could improve the quant and the verbal stay the same or improve causing your total score to increase. Either way, the worst case scenario is you are applying with a GMAT in the 700's which is awesome and definitely competitive.

I think you have to weigh your time commitments and other resources at this point. The rest of the application is of equal importance to the GMAT, so you don't want to sacrifice the quality of your applications for a GMAT retake. If you believe you can increase your total score by increasing the quant (verbal same or better) and have the resources to pursue a retake, then it might be worth doing for your peace of mind. With FEMBA programs, it is also important that you visit these campuses and attend class as a guest if you haven't already--be sure to factor that into your equation when evaluating your resources.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

AWeq

by herbalsejagat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:38 pm
Thank you for the profile evaluation. The analysis was helpful for me as well.