Which of the following most ...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Which of the following most ...

by Vincen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:36 pm
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

When people engage in activities that help others, their brain releases endorphins, the brain's natural opiates, which induce in people a feeling of well-being. It has been suggested that regular release of endorphins increases people's longevity. And a statistic on adults who regularly engage in volunteer work helping others shows that they live longer, on average, than adults who do not volunteer. However, that statistic would be what we would expect even if volunteering does not boost longevity, because _______________.

(A) In the communities studied, women were much more likely to do regular volunteer work than men were, and women tend to live longer than men do.

(B) The number of young adults who do regular volunteer work is on the increase

(C) The feelings of well-being induced by endorphins can, at least for a time, mask the symptoms of various conditions and diseases, provided the symptoms are mild.

(D) It is rare for a person to keep up a regular schedule of volunteer work throughout his or her life.

(E) Some people find that keeping a commitment to do regular volunteer work becomes a source of stress in their lives.

OA is A.

This kind of questions are difficult to me. Anyone can help me? I need a detailed explanation for each option to understand, thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 am
Vincen wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

When people engage in activities that help others, their brain releases endorphins, the brain's natural opiates, which induce in people a feeling of well-being. It has been suggested that regular release of endorphins increases people's longevity. And a statistic on adults who regularly engage in volunteer work helping others shows that they live longer, on average, than adults who do not volunteer. However, that statistic would be what we would expect even if volunteering does not boost longevity, because _______________.

(A) In the communities studied, women were much more likely to do regular volunteer work than men were, and women tend to live longer than men do.

(B) The number of young adults who do regular volunteer work is on the increase

(C) The feelings of well-being induced by endorphins can, at least for a time, mask the symptoms of various conditions and diseases, provided the symptoms are mild.

(D) It is rare for a person to keep up a regular schedule of volunteer work throughout his or her life.

(E) Some people find that keeping a commitment to do regular volunteer work becomes a source of stress in their lives.

OA is A.

This kind of questions are difficult to me. Anyone can help me? I need a detailed explanation for each option to understand, thanks.
We have three associations here:

volunteering --> endorphin release
endorphin release ---> longevity
volunteering ---> longevity

We're asked why it might be the case that those who volunteer might, on average, live longer, than those who don't, even if the volunteering itself isn't conferring any benefit. In any other words, there must be something about the volunteering population that accounts for them having a longer life expectancy. We're looking for that something else - what feature does this group have that accounts for their longer lifespans?

A: This looks good. If women are disproportionately represented among volunteers, and women live longer than men do, then we'd expect volunteering populations to live longer than non-volunteering populations, even if volunteering wasn't conducive to long life.

B: Irrelevant. There's no reason to believe that the probability that a 23-year-old will live to 85 is any higher than the probability that a 50-year-old will live to 85.

C: Irrelevant. If anything this is counter to the argument, as volunteers who experienced an endorphin rush might overlook mild symptoms and thus not get the medical assistance they need.

D: Irrelevant. Whether an activity is common or rare shares no light on what benefits that activity might provide.

E: First, irrelevant. What some people find stressful isn't germane to the argument. (And it isn't consistent with the notion that volunteers live longer.)

The answer is A
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course