Need help - Scored 590

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help - Scored 590

by ssamrat » Mon May 21, 2007 12:26 am
Scored 48 in Quant...24 in Verbal... :?:

Need desperate help.....not sure how the verbal turned into a nightmare.....

was scoring 700+ in Gmatprep....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by f2001290 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:31 am
Samrat - Cheer up.

It's time to start from the scratch. You might not be in a right frame of mind after completing Quant and that might have affected your performance.

by ssamrat » Mon May 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Thanks...It should be true...I was relaxed after the Quant part....and surprisingly the Quant looked easy....

Still confused about the Verbal...I thought I was answering correctly...didn't got any boldfaced CR's, though...:-(

Any test taking strategy for Verbal will help..

by gmat2009 » Wed May 23, 2007 6:19 am
Your Quant score is very good and you should be pleased with that. Sorry to hear that Verbal wasn't so strong. I just took the GMAt and scored a 570 and I was very disappointed with Verbal as well. I thought I finished Verbal with a strong score, but was shocked when I saw my final result. It was a 30, but should have been much higher. Most schools will want to see at least a 35 in verbal (which is 75%).

Strangely enough, I would look at Sentence Correction. It is not as easy as it looks and the test maker really screws with the differences between answer choices. You think that when you see the correct idiom that you found the right answer choice. I think they really get test takers to take the bait on SC.

Just some thoughts...since you do well on Quant and SC is somewhat formulatic, I would try to beef-up on the SC. You should probably pick it up quickly.