Should I retake a 700 (Q42, V44, IR8)?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I retake a 700 (Q42, V44, IR8)?

by CRosenvold » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:35 am
Hi friends,

Today I took my second test and scored 700 (88th percentile), Q42 (45th percentile), V44 (98th percentile), and IR8 (93rd percentile).
This is an improvement of 80 points from when I took it a year ago.

I am very unsure of whether or not to retake it, and would love your advice.
The following may be important:
* Aiming for top 5 schools
* Have excellent work experience
- Will apply with 1.5-2.5 years experience from top tier consultancy (MBB) (European and African offices)
- Worked with private equity in sub-saharan africa (whilst still studying)
- Worked directly with top-management of fortune-500 level company for 1.5 years (whilst still studying)
- Ran own investment firm w. good results (>250% ROE)
* Have good academic record
- Graduated valedictorian from most selective programme in my country
- Studied (at university level) in Europe, Asia, and the US
* Limited study time
- I studied intensely for ~2 weeks (only studied quant. Fortunately, the verbal comes easily to me)
- If I choose to retake, I have another exam scheduled two weeks from now (and have two weeks off work to continue studying)
* From over-represented demographic
- I am a white male from a Nordic European country

Should I retake, and will I be able to meaningfully improve my quant score in two weeks (given that I have already given it a solid crack)?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:15 am
CRosenvold wrote:Hi friends,

Today I took my second test and scored 700 (88th percentile), Q42 (45th percentile), V44 (98th percentile), and IR8 (93rd percentile).
This is an improvement of 80 points from when I took it a year ago.

I am very unsure of whether or not to retake it, and would love your advice.
The following may be important:
* Aiming for top 5 schools
* Have excellent work experience
- Will apply with 1.5-2.5 years experience from top tier consultancy (MBB) (European and African offices)
- Worked with private equity in sub-saharan africa (whilst still studying)
- Worked directly with top-management of fortune-500 level company for 1.5 years (whilst still studying)
- Ran own investment firm w. good results (>250% ROE)
* Have good academic record
- Graduated valedictorian from most selective programme in my country
- Studied (at university level) in Europe, Asia, and the US
* Limited study time
- I studied intensely for ~2 weeks (only studied quant. Fortunately, the verbal comes easily to me)
- If I choose to retake, I have another exam scheduled two weeks from now (and have two weeks off work to continue studying)
* From over-represented demographic
- I am a white male from a Nordic European country

Should I retake, and will I be able to meaningfully improve my quant score in two weeks (given that I have already given it a solid crack)?
The number I keep hearing from admin consultants for a Quant score that makes you competitive at elite schools is 45. This is all to say that I would give at another shot - it's certainly not going to hurt you.

The good news is that the difference between a Q42 and a Q45 is subtle enough that a few tweaks (or a few fortunate breaks) is all it takes to make what amounts to a fairly minor leap. Start by doing an intense review of every practice test you've taken. Try to identify 3-4 broad themes that you can address quickly (timing issues, strategies you're not deploying enough; categories that require attention.) Do a bit of drilling/practice with these broad themes in mind. Take another practice test. Wash/rinse/repeat.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:36 pm
Hi CRosenvold,

First off, a 700 is an outstanding score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Unfortunately, a Q42 will not 'impress' anyone - and in certain Programs (such as Finance and certain Specialty Programs) it would likely be seen as a 'red flag.' Depending on the specific Programs that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

1) What study materials did you use over the last few weeks?
2) Is there a reason why you're limiting yourself to just 2 additional weeks of study (with 4-6 weeks, you could potentially score into the mid-700s or even high-700s)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]