Low gmat : 640 One year MBA options

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Low gmat : 640 One year MBA options

by arrastra » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 am
Hi ,
I have a low GMAT score of 640 ( tried multiple times but unable to improve) .I want to apply to one year MBA programs but am not sure what options do I have with this score.
I have around 7 years of experience in IT. 4.3 years with an Indian MNC . Currently working in Abu Dhabi,UAE as a Project Coordinator for the implementation of a school management software in an international school.
I am looking for an MBA to accelerate my career in IT consulting and want to follow a career path of a Business Analyst.I am searching for programs in India or abroad.
Please let me know if I have some options with this score and how should I proceed from here.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 am
arrastra wrote:Hi ,
I have a low GMAT score of 640 ( tried multiple times but unable to improve) .I want to apply to one year MBA programs but am not sure what options do I have with this score.
I have around 7 years of experience in IT. 4.3 years with an Indian MNC . Currently working in Abu Dhabi,UAE as a Project Coordinator for the implementation of a school management software in an international school.
I am looking for an MBA to accelerate my career in IT consulting and want to follow a career path of a Business Analyst.I am searching for programs in India or abroad.
Please let me know if I have some options with this score and how should I proceed from here.
A few alternatives to consider:

If your score is unbalanced, and you're stronger in, say, verbal than quant, you could take a few graduate level courses in quant-intensive subjects and use those classes as evidence that you possess the requisite skills for the program. (This is a little trickier to do if it's the verbal that's dragging you down.)

You could also give the GRE a shot - some test-takers find this to be a more palatable option. (Though in my experience, most end up with comparable percentiles in both.)

Last, you could try applying with your 640 - if every other aspect of your application is appealing to a school, you may still get admitted. If your GMAT score is the only variable that makes an admissions committee reluctant, they may well contact you and tell you that if you managed to bring the score up to, say, a 680, they'll admit you.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by EduSimplified » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 am
arrastra wrote:Hi ,
Hi there,
Having been there myself, I understand its a frustrating journey - GMAT. Provided you have decided to go ahead with your application on your 640 score, there are a lot of options where you can get in. Your work ex is also above average which will help. But first you'll atleast have to narrow down a country. For eg, if you're considering Canada you may want to look at Ryerson, Laurier, Corcordia. All of these schools have 1 year MBA programs. Similarly there are a lot in US too. Let me know if you want to discuss your profile over a free call.

Best,
Deep A.