UCLA Anderson vs Kellogg for entertainment marketing?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all! I'm planning to apply to business schools during Round 1 of this upcoming year, and I'm starting to research programs. I currently work in nonprofit marketing in DC but am looking to get into entertainment marketing out in LA -- companies I am eventually interested in (and would want to try and get internships and job prospects in) are entertainment/media companies like Disney, Netflix, Hulu, Dreamworks, etc.

Is UCLA the way to go because of their LA location, industry contacts, and entertainment management specialization? Or is Kellogg the way to go because it has the stronger reputation for marketing overall and also probably has alumni at Disney, etc. even if it's not located in LA?

Stats (if it's helpful at all): 3.85 GPA, 700 GMAT but planning to retake to aim for a higher score.

Thanks so much, and I look forward to any advice!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu May 11, 2017 10:49 am
kaaviar wrote:Hi all! I'm planning to apply to business schools during Round 1 of this upcoming year, and I'm starting to research programs. I currently work in nonprofit marketing in DC but am looking to get into entertainment marketing out in LA -- companies I am eventually interested in (and would want to try and get internships and job prospects in) are entertainment/media companies like Disney, Netflix, Hulu, Dreamworks, etc.

Is UCLA the way to go because of their LA location, industry contacts, and entertainment management specialization? Or is Kellogg the way to go because it has the stronger reputation for marketing overall and also probably has alumni at Disney, etc. even if it's not located in LA?

Stats (if it's helpful at all): 3.85 GPA, 700 GMAT but planning to retake to aim for a higher score.

Thanks for your question! As a Kellogg alum and knowing one of my classmates is the President and CMO of Sony TV https://deadline.com/2016/04/sony-tv-chi ... 201745043/ I am probably going to be a bit biased to Kellogg! I think that there could be a pathway at either place and I encourage you to visit both schools, learn more about the strength of the alumni in the companies that interest you and apply and see what happens! Best of luck to you!

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 am
kaaviar wrote:Hi all! I'm planning to apply to business schools during Round 1 of this upcoming year, and I'm starting to research programs. I currently work in nonprofit marketing in DC but am looking to get into entertainment marketing out in LA -- companies I am eventually interested in (and would want to try and get internships and job prospects in) are entertainment/media companies like Disney, Netflix, Hulu, Dreamworks, etc.

In my experience both schools are great for your post-MBA goal so you really can't go wrong with either one of them. Therefore, I would recommend you take a look at other things such as location, culture etc. in order to differentiate between them. And as already suggested, you really should visit both schools in order to find out which one feels like the right one for you when you are actually there. A lot of applicants are actually able to make a decision just based on campus visits so don't underestimate that at all!
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Wed May 17, 2017 10:14 pm
Hi kaaviar,

Recruitment generally tends to be regional: companies on West coast will recruit more at the schools on West coast and so on. However, companies which recruit MBAs in large numbers (consulting, finance, and some tech firms) do transcend regional boundaries. There would be few MBA recruitments in the niche you're looking at, and most of them would likely be regional (West-coast schools). You may check this (and strength of alumni in the industry) by visiting the school or even speaking to the office bearers of relevant professional club at the school to arrive at a decision. It won't be a 0-1 kind of decision, though.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis