Does part-time MBA program matter for a non-career switcher?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm currently working in a field I enjoy as an Associate Product Manager. Barely any of my teammates have a grad degree. However, I know an MBA will be useful as I climb my way up the ladder, especially for more senior positions.

My question is if I'm not looking at a top 50 program, does it matter one MBA program vs another? The only other program besides Booth and Kellogg in Chicago in the Top 100 is Depaul, which is almost 3 times more expensive at $72k than programs at say Northern Illinois University, Northeastern Illinois University, or University of Illinois at Chicago.

How much do you think the school matters in a situation like mine where I want to stay in Product Management but want to gain a business education as well as switch companies every few years as I move up the ranks?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:01 pm
That's hard to say -- it depends on what is normative in the upper management in your field. A little sleuthing might be helpful here: if you're intent on staying with the same company, have a look at the bios of the top people, starting at the levels where MBAs start appearing, and simply see what schools they went to. If you're seeing a lot of Kellogg and Booth, you know that's what you need to aim for. If you're seeing U of I-level schools, you know that you can be safe taking that route.

The same methodology would help you assess the MBAs in other companies you might hope to move to down the road. LinkedIn is a super tool for this research. If you know your destination, it's not hard to figure out, with a little patient googling, which programs can get you there.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me