Inference

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Inference

by neeti2711 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:45 am
SwiftCo recently remodeled its offices to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires that certain businesses make their properties accessible to those with disabilities. Contractors built ramps where stairs had been, increased the number of handicapped parking spaces in the parking lot, lowered door knobs and cabinet handles, and installed adaptive computer equipment.

Which of the following is the most likely inference based on the statements above?

(A) SwiftCo is now in compliance with ADA requirements.
(B) SwiftCo has at least one employee or customer who uses a wheelchair.
(C) Prior to the renovation, some doors and cabinets may have been out of reach for some employees.
(D) The costs of the renovation were less than what SwiftCo would have been liable for had it been sued for ADA violations.
(E) Businesses without adaptive computer equipment are in violation of the ADA.

OA: C

Why not E? I think we can eliminate C because it talks about some employees . However the argument does not mention employees. It just says ''accessible to those with disabilities''(not necessarily employees)

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:54 am
neeti2711 wrote:SwiftCo recently remodeled its offices to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires that certain businesses make their properties accessible to those with disabilities. Contractors built ramps where stairs had been, increased the number of handicapped parking spaces in the parking lot, lowered door knobs and cabinet handles, and installed adaptive computer equipment.

Which of the following is the most likely inference based on the statements above?

(C) Prior to the renovation, some doors and cabinets may have been out of reach for some employees.
(D) The costs of the renovation were less than what SwiftCo would have been liable for had it been sued for ADA violations.

OA: C

Why not E? I think we can eliminate C because it talks about some employees . However the argument does not mention employees. It just says ''accessible to those with disabilities''(not necessarily employees)
E is doesn't have to be true. It's possible, for example, that the adaptive computer equipment had nothing to do with the ADA, but were a proactive step taken by the company while it was undertaking other measures to comply with the legislation. All we know for sure about the ADA is that it requires that certain businesses make their properties accessible to those with disabilities.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:43 am
neeti2711 wrote:SwiftCo recently remodeled its offices to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires that certain businesses make their properties accessible to those with disabilities. Contractors built ramps where stairs had been, increased the number of handicapped parking spaces in the parking lot, lowered door knobs and cabinet handles, and installed adaptive computer equipment.

Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer is negated, the passage will be contradicted.

C, negated:
Prior to the renovation, no doors or cabinets were out of reach for any employees.
This negation does NOT contradict the passage.
While the passage states that the company lowered doorknobs and handles, it does not indicate whether these doorknobs and handles were beyond the reach of EMPLOYEES.
Since the negation of C does not contradict the passage, eliminate C.

E, negated:
Businesses without adaptive computer equipment are not in violation with the ADA.
According to the passage, the ADA requires only that CERTAIN BUSINESSES make their properties accessible.
Thus, it is possible that businesses without adaptive computer equipment are not included among these certain businesses and thus are not in violation of the ADA.
Since the negation of E does not contradict the passage, eliminate E.

None of the answer choices is viable.
I recommend that you disregard this CR.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3