MBA Profile Fitment

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MBA Profile Fitment

by prashant11690 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:08 pm
Hi. I am an engineering grad with my majors in Production & Industrial Engineering. After my graduation, i went into sales. Now i have 2 years & 10 months of work experience into sales.
Now i want to pursue my MBA into finance/international business/or anything which interests me(yet to decide). My question is, should i now switch from sales to completing my masters into something different from sales? Will i get into a good B-School even if i get a good GMAT Score? Will this be a good decision(in terms of my career)?
What's your opinion about this?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:21 am
prashant11690 wrote:Hi. I am an engineering grad with my majors in Production & Industrial Engineering. After my graduation, i went into sales. Now i have 2 years & 10 months of work experience into sales.
Now i want to pursue my MBA into finance/international business/or anything which interests me(yet to decide). My question is, should i now switch from sales to completing my masters into something different from sales? Will i get into a good B-School even if i get a good GMAT Score? Will this be a good decision(in terms of my career)?
What's your opinion about this?
I don't think you should try to "position" yourself to anything other than what you truly seek. You can be competitive in an MBA application from any background- and sales has some great advantages such as that you can actually have some demonstrated results- which is always helpful. The engineering background will give you a solid quant background. The compelling "why" you need to convince adcom is why after just about 3 yrs in sales do you seek a different role? What does an MBA provide to help you get there? Is there something you wish you could do now- but feel like you don't understand it as well as you'd like and therefore now seek an MBA to prepare for that. And then the next logical question you need to have an answer to is WHY THIS PROGRAM? How does whatever program you aspire to attend help prepare you for that post MBA role you seek and then for the win... how does your background also add to the richness of the environment at that program and how can you add value to the school as well! Good luck... and if you don't know the answers to these questions... maybe some guided exercises with a consulting firm like ours can help you understand your WHY! Here is a link for a free consult: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/