Experience evaluation

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Experience evaluation

by neha shekhawat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:19 pm
I am planning to give GMAT in next few months but I am really very worried if my work experience will be considered worthy or not.I have more 4 years of experience of teaching in a B school of a Indian Private University as an Assistant Professor.So I am concerned if universities in USA consider teaching experience as valid experience.
My educational qualification is:
1: Bachelors in Mathematics (3 years degree from Delhi university)
2: Masters of finance and control (2 years from Amity university)

I have invested around 3 months for preparing GMAT now and I am really looking forward to give this exam but this thought keep on moving in my mind and I am afraid that this is going to affect my performance.
Please help

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:10 pm
neha shekhawat wrote:I am planning to give GMAT in next few months but I am really very worried if my work experience will be considered worthy or not.I have more 4 years of experience of teaching in a B school of a Indian Private University as an Assistant Professor.So I am concerned if universities in USA consider teaching experience as valid experience.

I have invested around 3 months for preparing GMAT now and I am really looking forward to give this exam but this thought keep on moving in my mind and I am afraid that this is going to affect my performance.
Please help
I think the most important part is making sure you have compelling reasons for why you now want an MBA. You can call any program now and make sure they will accept your 3 yr degree- most programs do but you need to check school by school on this one. Then once you know they will accept your degree, focus on putting together a compelling application. Attend online chats and listen to webinars if you can't directly visit the school. Reach out to current students to learn about the program. This will help you decide if the program is right for you AND also help show you are serious about attending if you do make it through to the interview process. Good luck!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:58 pm
neha shekhawat wrote:I am planning to give GMAT in next few months but I am really very worried if my work experience will be considered worthy or not.I have more 4 years of experience of teaching in a B school of a Indian Private University as an Assistant Professor.So I am concerned if universities in USA consider teaching experience as valid experience.

Please help
You don't need to worry too much about the 3 year degree as a lot of programs will accept it. You can contact me for a list of which ones specifically. In terms of the work experience, professors / educators do get their MBAs, so while you would be a "non-traditional" applicant, if the MBA is a stop along your career path, it is our job to explain that to the admissions committees. Good luck studying for the GMAT and if you want to discuss your strategy further, send me an email with your resume: [email protected] or sign up for a consultation below.

Best,
Scott

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:00 pm
This is an interesting challenge! In my experience, what makes teaching an effective background for an MBA is the leadership you've had. Front-facing classroom teaching is, in itself, a leadership role; however, many teachers, especially after a few years of experience, also do training, administration/organization, manage budgets, and lead groups of volunteers. That's where you start to become top MBA material: when your leadership becomes the equivalent of other types of group management.

So leadership is one area to focus on in your CV and your application essays; a second area will be, as others here have rightly suggested, your goals. Why do you want an MBA, where do you see yourself headed? What is the relationship between what you've done in the past and where you hope to go post-MBA? Moreover, since you're applying to US schools, what is the international angle here? Why do you need a US/multinational MBA to achieve the goals you've set?

Good luck in your applications, and don't forget that Stacy Blackman Consulting offers a free consultation, during which we can go into your specific case in more detail. You can sign up here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Best wishes,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me