Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620
Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of many people to adapt to other modern technologies.

A. Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of many people to adapt to other modern technologies.

B. Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, which many people are comfortable using, they have difficulty adapting to other modern technologies.

C. Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, other modern technologies bring out a difficulty for many people to adapt to them.

D. Many people, though comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers, have difficulty adapting to other modern technologies.

E. Many people have a difficulty in adapting to other modern technologies, while they are comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers.

OA is D

My analysis:-

1. A and B can be eliminated because of wrong comparison
2. Also in B "they" is referring to cellular phones and personal computers
3. In C, correct comparison is used. But issue here is different. It is about the structure. Veritas book says it's not perfectly logical for these devices to actively bring out - can anyone please give more insight on this structure
4. what is the problem with E ? Can we use "while" for contrast ?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:29 am
vinni.k wrote:Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of many people to adapt to other modern technologies.

A. Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of many people to adapt to other modern technologies.

B. Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, which many people are comfortable using, they have difficulty adapting to other modern technologies.

C. Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, other modern technologies bring out a difficulty for many people to adapt to them.

D. Many people, though comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers, have difficulty adapting to other modern technologies.

E. Many people have a difficulty in adapting to other modern technologies, while they are comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers.
In A and B, it is unclear what exactly is unlike cellular phones.
Eliminate A and B.

C: other modern technologies bring out a difficulty for many people
Here, the usage of for is unidiomatic.
Correct: X brings out the Y in Z.

E: Many people have a difficulty in adapting to other modern technologies
Modern technologies other than WHAT?
Before referring to these OTHER modern technologies, the sentence must FIRST specify the technologies to which people CAN easily adapt.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

The chef's sauce brings out the flavor in the meat.
The idiom in blue conveys that the flavor is hidden INSIDE the meat and that the chef's sauce BRINGS OUT this flavor so that the flavor can be discerned.
C: Other modern technologies bring out a difficulty.
Here, the portion in red refers to people, implying that a difficulty is hidden inside people.
This meaning is nonsensical.

while can serve to express a contrast.
SC107 in the OG13:
WHILE the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
Here, while serves to express a contrast between the cost of RUNNING nuclear plants and the fixed costs that stem from BUILDING them.
Generally, the usage of while is appropriate for contrasting events that are true AT THE SAME TIME.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620

by vinni.k » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:52 am
Very well. Thank you.

As you said above, "the usage of while is appropriate for contrasting events that are true AT THE SAME TIME."

Can you please give some more examples or if you can please let me know the following example sentences are fine; however got it from the dictionary but want to know whether they are in the context above.

While arranged marriages are quite unusual in the West, they are quite common in many Middle Eastern countries
While English has just five vowel sounds, some languages have 30 or more
While some people think his comedy is funny, others find him offensive.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:20 pm
vinni.k wrote:if you can please let me know the following example sentences are fine.

While arranged marriages are quite unusual in the West, they are quite common in many Middle Eastern countries
While English has just five vowel sounds, some languages have 30 or more
While some people think his comedy is funny, others find him offensive.
These usages of while are all valid.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3