With TTP, 620 to 710…in 30 Days!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

With TTP, 620 to 710…in 30 Days!

by kmhemsing » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:47 am
I began studying for the GMAT back in December of 2015. I scored a 540 on my first ever diagnostic exam but was confident in my ability to learn the material on my own. I just needed to get serious and commit 100% focus, right? That's easier said than done. I purchased and read the MGMAT books for 4 months, from December 2015 to March 2016. I became familiar with the exam, focused on Quant (since my V34 score was okay), and re-learned the arithmetic I had forgotten from grade school. But my consulting/international travel schedule was grueling.

What a terrible excuse.

The real problem was that I was studying for only a few hours each weekend - way too casually. I gave up on MGMAT because I didn't like lugging around the books and I wasn't seeing improvement. A friend recommended that I watch the Magoosh videos instead. Over the next 5 months, I watched every single Magoosh Quant video, made notecards, and passed section quizzes. I learned the basics but I wish I hadn't dedicated so much time to Magoosh. The material was too basic. I was scoring in the mid 600s on my practice exams. I took an official exam in September 2016 and scored a 620 (Q35 V40).

What a deflating experience.

I planned to apply to Top 10 schools this year. I set new test dates for October (progress check) and November (last chance). The window was closing. I went into panic mode, scouring the blogs for intensive, Quant-focused advice. I stumbled across an outstanding review about Target Test Prep (TTP) and signed up for the 5-day free trial. Jeff and Scott both reached out to me. They asked about my goals and confirmed that I knew how to navigate the program. I loved the user interface, curriculum layout, section quizzes, and personal engagement. I purchased the Flexible Preparation Plan ($99/month), took the diagnostic exam, and set my account to "Short Study Plan." Jeff tutored me for one hour each week, always flexible with my crazy schedule, always patient, always inspiring confidence in me. I studied diligently for 4 weeks, at least 2 hours each weekday and 8-10 hours each weekend day. I completed 33% of the course before sitting for my October exam.

I GOT A 710!! (Q44 V44). I was shocked and relieved. I decided not to sit for the November exam because I wanted to dedicate more time to apps/essays. If I had found TTP earlier, I'm sure I could have reached a 750+.

Here's the secret to the GMAT: you have to practice every day to 1) retain the content and 2) recognize the patterns. Set a date even if you don't feel as though you're totally ready. A looming exam date serves as great motivation. Eat well, sleep well. If you're having trouble with Quant, you NEED to sign up for Target Test Prep. And if you're pressed for time (or think you could benefit from one-on-one help), work with Jeff or Scott. They're fantastic. TTP is fantastic.