560(Q40, V27) I was so slow during the test!

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello everyone

I took my GMAT exam yesterday for the first time and I got 560(Q40,V27), I started my preparation one month before the exam using Magoosh.com (which is a great resource when it comes to Quant and SC) and I did not take any mock exams before the real one! My target score was 650-700, but I actually realized during the exam that I am not going to get this score! I know I am slow in terms of reading and thinking, but I was even slower during the test. I got 37 questions in the Quant Section and 41 in the verbal, yet I was able to solve only 30 and 31 before I ran out of time! anybody can help me with strategies and tricks on how to finish all questions just in time? I am going to retake the exam for the second time on 29-September, planning to resume my study routine again on 25-July.

Regards
Shaymaa

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:20 pm
Hi Syamaa,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. With your next Test Date, you have about 2.5 months of additional study time, so you'll likely improve in a number of different ways as you continue to study.

One of the essential parts of any study plan is to take FULL-LENGTH CATs at regular intervals. This is really the only way to truly track your progress during your studies. Make sure to take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) each time, and do so in a realistic fashion.

1) What resources are you currently working with?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:44 am
Hello Rich

Thank you for your reply, I actually will not be able to resume studying GMAT before 23-July as I have TOEFL exam on that date, and I am preparing for it during this 11 days. So I will be left with around 2 months. Would you please advise me on how to prepare during those 2 months, what are the best tricks to speedup my reading and thinking skills, how many CAT exams should I take before the real one? During my previous preparation I was preparing mainly from the OG, Magoosh and GMATPrepNow, do you have any recommendations in this regard.

Shaymaa

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:47 am
Hi Shaymaa,

Rather than have a big discussion right now about how you should restart your studies, I think that you should stay focused on the TOEFL for now. Once you're done with that Exam, you can either post back here or contact me directly - and we can talk through your options.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hello everyone

I took my GMAT exam yesterday for the first time and I got 560(Q40,V27), I started my preparation one month before the exam using Magoosh.com (which is a great resource when it comes to Quant and SC) and I did not take any mock exams before the real one! My target score was 650-700, but I actually realized during the exam that I am not going to get this score! I know I am slow in terms of reading and thinking, but I was even slower during the test. I got 37 questions in the Quant Section and 41 in the verbal, yet I was able to solve only 30 and 31 before I ran out of time! anybody can help me with strategies and tricks on how to finish all questions just in time? I am going to retake the exam for the second time on 29-September, planning to resume my study routine again on 25-July.

Regards
Shaymaa
Hi Shayamaa,

The best way to increase you speed is by practicing more and taking more number of Mock CATs. The fact that you did not take any before the real GMAT might have hurt you a lot. GMAT is like running a marathon, you need to train your mind and body for the full 4 hours.

In the next round of study, make sure you take enough mock CATs.
Also, not completing a section attracts a huge penalty and that is what has happened with you.
Since you have taken the test once, you can surely prepare well in 2 months.

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide

Also, you can take a lookout at our on demand course that comes with a 50 point or full money back guarantee.
You can get the details here: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course/

All the best for your TOEFL.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by MBA Challengers » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:01 am
[email protected] wrote:Hello everyone

Regards
Shaymaa
Hi Shaymaa,

You need to look at your problem with respect to two aspects:

1. Accuracy
2. Speed

1. If your problem is Accuracy, then it is a much more basic and urgent need to attack as even after spending a long time on the problems, you would not be able to answer them correctly. In that case, I would suggest you start building a base by diligently sitting in one place daily, for at least 30 minutes for Quant and Verbal sections with a target number of questions and practice those. Once you are done with the set, check how many questions are correctly answered and go through the explanations for each of the attempted questions. In case of incorrectly answered ones, this will tell you where you went wrong. Even for the questions answered correctly, you will know if there is an alternate approach that could have been easier to adopt.
2. Speed is something you can achieve only once with enough practice, all questions start being broadly familiar. Once you have reached that stage of familiarity with questions, as suggested by everyone timed tests is what will build speed. You can start with the sectional timed tests and then move on to full-length CAT tests which will then build Accuracy, Speed and most importantly, stamina. If you can, then you should attempt to take those tests at exactly the same time as your slot on test day. Your body and brain will then be attuned to test-like conditions for that time period.

All the very best and let us know how it went.

Regards,
Aparna Aggarwal
Log on to www.mbachallengers.com for
Easy strategic GMAT prep
For any queries mail us at [email protected]
Follow MBA Challengers on Facebook