GMAT Debrief

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Debrief

by ishan36 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:50 am
Hello everyone, I am here to share my GMAT experience with all of you.
I got done with my GMAT on 8th July 2016 and ended up with an average score of 630, Well! technically not average. Am i happy with the score? Umm, I have come to accept my score and live with it. This was my second attempt and i scored a 610 in my first. So not exactly a promotion. isn't it. Well my peice here is more concerned about the post gmat experience that one goes through if you really dont get what you expect. The same happend to me. Before my GMAT exam i was scoring 690 and 700 in all my prep test. Yes! in the offical GMAT Prep too. What went wrong then! This question started hounding my brain as soon as the score page appeared on the screen on my the test day. As usual i had the same two options pacing down in me to either retake the exam for the third time or let it be and see how can i make the best of it.
Before moving further let me give you a little insight about my prep period. I work full time in an environmental consultancy firm. Been woking in it for more that 4 years, i have earned quite some big responsibilities in it. I manage clientele, finance and local administration. So partly, i did what the boss does but without the same incentives. And not to forget in my recent year, i have rolled out a project in Waste to Energy management in collaboration with the owners of the company i work for. For those of you wondering, i did manage to convince the board to include me as a partner. Yea so! with all that on my plate i had no time for formal coaching or any help from outside. I started on my own with whatever time i got. It was fun because at times i use to feel like a strategy consultant in a Top A consulting firm because i was busy through out. Well! then happened the GMAT (First attempt), result 610 (Q47 V28). After going through all that motivational stuff and mind maneuvering i started to prepare again. One thing was pretty much clear this time that i needed some help in verbal. I couldn't spare a single hour to go for coaching. Then someone known told me about this new company named Crack Verbal and asked me to try it out. I have a knack for trying out new things, within no time i had myself connected to their office, finalize everything and in evening i was their new induct. I went on with their programme for next two months and it was quite satifying. Not that they have anything way different that you would not find in the OG's or internet. It's the application strategy. For instance their critical reasoning section strategies are too practical to apply, specially for non natives. When it comes to GMAT verbal, its more about strategy than about content. Crack Verbal points down some easy strategies to apply and use during the exam. I would fully recommend crack verbal for the starters and re-takers as the Crack Verbal team has ability to understand and rectify your verbal problems. It's due to this course that i improved in verbal V28 to V34 in the real GMAT exam.
In the end it's not just about your hardwork but also about your test day strategy. Particularly in my case i feel that i mismanaged some aspects about the test day performance. Nevertheless, i feel confident about my performance and would apply with this score in first admission cycle of the B schools.

Regards,
Ishan