Profile evaluation and school recommendations

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Profile evaluation and school recommendations

by sidceg » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:21 pm
Hi all,

I fall into probably the most over represented category - Indian/IT/Male. My profile overview
- I have close to 6 years of work ex and the last one year I am into product management managing one of the products end to end. Prior to that I was a business analyst in a start up handling end to end projects and clients. I wasn't a techie guy at any point so I have never coded even a single line of code.
- My undergraduate GPA is 6.1/10 (not from IIT or NIT; but from a state run premier institution)
- I have a GMAT score of 700 (Q48; V38; IR5 and AWA 6).
- Extra currics - was part of social club during college and recently an International Motorcycle Club (Iron Butt) member where I completed 24 hrs of motorcycling in under 24 hrs. Also assist in freelance product management.
- I am recently married and it would be better if I can take my spouse with me also where she also can work full time while I study

I prefer mostly one year programs and my post MBA goals are to get into product management in tech companies such as Google/Amazon/Uber. To enhance my profile, I switched from business analyst to a product management role last year. I am not a product manager yet but my role is that of a product manager. My second preference get into supply chain roles in logistics/e commerce companies such as Amazon or DHL as I have both experience and interest in supply chain.

I am open to any country so can anyone please suggest me some schools where I can consider applying?

Note: I am from India and I hear the 1 year programs in India are tough to get into given my profile (especially the GPA and number of work ex). I've had a lot of backlogs during my undergraduate and took a semester extra to complete. I have taken the GMAT for 7 times over a span of 6 years to reach this 700 score.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:46 pm
as you know, you are part of a very competitive profile, and you have some weaknesses, if targeting the very top schools. One year programs in Europe might be an interesting option, but it depends where you plan to work after your MBA. You should focus your energies on one post MBA goal, that which you are most passionate about, and is more realistic, based on your experiences. I imagine your work experience is the strength of your application. If you can get everything ready for the first rounds, that will be best for you, given your profile. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 am
sidceg wrote:Hi all,

I fall into probably the most over represented category - Indian/IT/Male. My profile overview
- I have close to 6 years of work ex and the last one year I am into product management managing one of the products end to end. Prior to that I was a business analyst in a start up handling end to end projects and clients. I wasn't a techie guy at any point so I have never coded even a single line of code.
- My undergraduate GPA is 6.1/10 (not from IIT or NIT; but from a state run premier institution)
- I have a GMAT score of 700 (Q48; V38; IR5 and AWA 6).
- Extra currics - was part of social club during college and recently an International Motorcycle Club (Iron Butt) member where I completed 24 hrs of motorcycling in under 24 hrs. Also assist in freelance product management.
- I am recently married and it would be better if I can take my spouse with me also where she also can work full time while I study

I prefer mostly one year programs and my post MBA goals are to get into product management in tech companies such as Google/Amazon/Uber. To enhance my profile, I switched from business analyst to a product management role last year. I am not a product manager yet but my role is that of a product manager. My second preference get into supply chain roles in logistics/e commerce companies such as Amazon or DHL as I have both experience and interest in supply chain.

I am open to any country so can anyone please suggest me some schools where I can consider applying?

Note: I am from India and I hear the 1 year programs in India are tough to get into given my profile (especially the GPA and number of work ex). I've had a lot of backlogs during my undergraduate and took a semester extra to complete. I have taken the GMAT for 7 times over a span of 6 years to reach this 700 score.

Thanks for reaching out. If you are open to US programs I think your profile might do well at some of the 30-50 ranked programs and for those you may be a scholarship contender. For example when looking at a program like SMU you stack up well in looking at their class profile as their GMAT avg is 656. Some other programs that are solid where I think you could stand out include: BYU, Emory, Smeal, Wisconsin (excellent marketing), Katz, Ohio State. All these programs have GMAT avgs a fair bit lower than yours so you will at least stand out on that metric. Look into these further and see if any are of interest. Best of luck to you!
Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:45 pm
Hi there,
You fall into a group of applicants that is really competitive because of your ethnicity and tech background. However, you're a good candidate to get into top 20 schools. HBS, Cornell and Kellogg would be appropriate for product management. They have new courses and programs aimed at setting students on the product-management career path. (https://on.wsj.com/1oPqzZ4)

When it come to logistics, Purdue and Kogod offer full-time MBA programs which include among others: logistics systems management, distribution and materials management, information management and technology, financial planning and control, managing change or global marketing strategies.

If you need further assessment, please don't hesitate to sign up for a FREE consultation.
Best,
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.