00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen official national and international speed records, and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be of dangerously experimental design.

A) and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
B) earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
C) earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
D) earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were
E) earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
The correct answer is E.
I have three questions. First, I think "earned" is not a pass participle to express the passive and then modify the speed records(this is the explanation on OG). Because it has the subject "she", I think "earned" is the main verb of the second clause which is connected by "and"
Second, Can I use "in which" to modify "time" as it show in choice D?
Third, why the structure "so new that many X were Y" is better than "so new for many X to be Y"

Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:34 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

When you post an SC, please underline the relevant portion.
Crystal W wrote:By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen official national and international speed records, and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be of dangerously experimental design.

A) and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
B) earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
C) earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
D) earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were
E) earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were

why the structure "so new that many X were Y" is better than "so new for many X to be Y"

A: aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew
Here, the portion in red seems to convey the following meaning:
For other planes, aviation was FAMILIAR, but for the planes that Jacqueline Cochran flew, aviation was NEW.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate A.

Generally, COMMA + VERBing serves to express an action happening AT THE SAME TIME AS the preceding action.
In B and C, the usage of COMMA + earning implies that JC was EARNING speed records when she HELD them -- a nonsensical meaning.
Clearly, JC must have earned the records BEFORE she held them.
Eliminate B and C.

D: still so new such that many
Here, the usage of such is unidiomatic.
Correct idiom: so X that Y.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Can I use "in which" to modify "time" as it show in choice D?

D: earned at a time in which
Here, the usage of at implies a specific MOMENT in time, as follows:
John arrived AT 5pm on Sunday.
in which cannot serve to refer to a specific moment in time.
Eliminate D.
in which may refer only to an EXTENDED period of time, as illustrated by the OA to SC70 in the OG12:
an age in which great ice sheets existed
Here, in which correctly refers to an extended period of time (an AGE).
I think "earned" is not a pass participle to express the passive and then modify the speed records(this is the explanation on OG).
Generally, COMMA + VERBed serves as an ADJECTIVE modifying the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.
OA: seventeen official national and international speed records, earned at a time when aviation was still so new
Here, COMMA + earned is an adjective serving to modify speed records -- the nearest preceding noun -- conveying that the RECORDS were EARNED at a time when aviation was still so new.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by zoe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: Generally, COMMA + VERBed serves as an ADJECTIVE modifying the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.
OA: seventeen official national and international speed records, earned at a time when aviation was still so new
Here, COMMA + earned is an adjective serving to modify speed records -- the nearest preceding noun -- conveying that the RECORDS were EARNED at a time when aviation was still so new.
hi GuruNY,

Does comma + verbed only modifies the nearest preceding noun? would you please clarify other usage of "comma + verbed" and give me some examples?

another question, can "that" modify "time" ? only "when" can modify "time" ?

thanks a lot

have a nice day
>_~

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question, one issue at a time, to narrow it down to the correct option! Before we get started, here is the original question, with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen official national and international speed records, and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be of dangerously experimental design.

B) earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew were

After a quick glance over the options, it's clear that there are some major differences between the options:

1. ...earned at a time when / that / where / in which / when
2. for many / that many / such that many

Let's start with #1 on our list, since it seems like it will be fairly easy to rule out wrong options quickly. Whenever we refer to time, it's best to use other words that also refer to time so things are absolutely clear to readers. Let's see how each option handles this:

A) and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be --> OK
(The word "when" is referring to time, so let's keep this for later)

B) earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew were --> WRONG
(The word "that" isn't clearly referring to time, so let's rule this one out because it's not as clear as saying "when.")

C) earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were --> WRONG
(The word "where" refers to location, not time! Let's rule this one out!)

D) earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were --> WRONG
(The phrase "in which" doesn't refer to time specifically, so let's rule this one out.)

E) earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were --> OK
(The word "when" is referring to time, so let's keep this for later)

We can rule out options B, C, and D because they don't use the right words to clearly refer to time!

Now that we're only left with 2 options, let's look at #2 on our list: for many vs. that many. We need to make sure for/that are being used properly, and that they convey the proper meaning:

This option is INCORRECT because it conveys the wrong meaning to the reader. By using the word "for" as a conjunction here, it suggests that aviation was new BECAUSE the planes were dangerous. Even if it were the correct conjunction to use here, it would still need a comma before it as well. We can't choose this one because it's unclear and sounds awkward.

This option is CORRECT! It uses the word "when" to correctly refer back to "at a time." It also uses "that" to suggest that the planes being dangerous is an effect of aviation being new, which makes perfect sense.

There you have it - option E is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.