Profile Eval. Request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval. Request

by r_undevia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:20 am
Hi Team,

I am an Indian male, 25 years old, working and residing in Dubai, U.A.E.

EDUCATION:
Graduated with a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering with a GPA of 5.79/10 from a top 20 Tech University in India.
Gave the GMAT thrice (650, 650, 700). Cancelled the second score. The breakdown for my final test was Q49 V36 AWA5.5 IR6.

WORK EX:
I've worked with an Oil and Gas services and supplies firm as a Project Engineer for 3.5 years, during which I worked with clients from all over the Middle East. I traveled to Kurdistan, Iraq in 2014 (1 month) for a supply project and in 2015 (3 months) as a contractor (project engineer/manager), with 10 men working under me. Left the job in Jan '16.
Since then, I've been working in my family owned business, a retail hardware store, as a 24% investing partner, handling pretty much everything as it's a small company.

EXTRA CURRICULARS:
Have done 2 courses online from COURSERA, one in 2013, Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies from University of Maryland and one in 2015 Project Management Specialization, with a Capstone Project from University of California, Irvine.

I've done a bit of volunteer work in my spare time, but not enough to make it stand out in my profile.

I was a member of my high school and college basketball teams.

Love the outdoors, and have traveled quite a bit. Love playing sports and reading in my free time.

What I am looking for is a top MBA program, 2 year course, especially one with a good exchange program or semester, so I can travel and explore more. Location doesn't matter, but preferably someplace where I might have a higher chance of getting a job post graduation.
I know my GPA is low, what universities among the top 10-15 do I have a realistic chance to get in if I apply?

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:18 pm
Hello! Thanks for sharing your profile info.

That is great you saw improvement in your second GMAT attempt. You have a solid score now. Your work experience sounds very strong -- I like the exposure to different countries and clients, plus management experience. Your family business experience should be interesting to schools too, as it sounds like it allows for a lot of leadership and ownership.

What are your post-MBA goals? Do you plan to stay with the family owned business?

The concerns I see are your GPA (you may want to write an optional essay addressing this) and your lack of extracurricular / community activities (if there's anything you can pick up, do so now, if not highlight anything you were involved in during college, not high school, + travel / other hobbies).

Speaking of GPA, is it possible to take any more business courses where you receive a grade? If you could ace an online course and provide a separate transcript that would help a lot to address concerns about your GPA.

As far as schools, I think top 10-15 in the US could be tough for you given those concerns. Plus while your 700 score is great, it's going to be below average for top 10 schools. Perhaps schools like Cornell, UNC, Georgetown, Texas, Emory in the US? But I'm not sure if you're exclusively looking at US only. I think it also depends on your goals too, so it's hard to advise on specific schools.

Feel free to post more info here or let me know if you have any other questions!
Kate
r_undevia wrote:Hi Team,

I am an Indian male, 25 years old, working and residing in Dubai, U.A.E.

EDUCATION:
Graduated with a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering with a GPA of 5.79/10 from a top 20 Tech University in India.
Gave the GMAT thrice (650, 650, 700). Cancelled the second score. The breakdown for my final test was Q49 V36 AWA5.5 IR6.

WORK EX:
I've worked with an Oil and Gas services and supplies firm as a Project Engineer for 3.5 years, during which I worked with clients from all over the Middle East. I traveled to Kurdistan, Iraq in 2014 (1 month) for a supply project and in 2015 (3 months) as a contractor (project engineer/manager), with 10 men working under me. Left the job in Jan '16.
Since then, I've been working in my family owned business, a retail hardware store, as a 24% investing partner, handling pretty much everything as it's a small company.

EXTRA CURRICULARS:
Have done 2 courses online from COURSERA, one in 2013, Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies from University of Maryland and one in 2015 Project Management Specialization, with a Capstone Project from University of California, Irvine.

I've done a bit of volunteer work in my spare time, but not enough to make it stand out in my profile.

I was a member of my high school and college basketball teams.

Love the outdoors, and have traveled quite a bit. Love playing sports and reading in my free time.

What I am looking for is a top MBA program, 2 year course, especially one with a good exchange program or semester, so I can travel and explore more. Location doesn't matter, but preferably someplace where I might have a higher chance of getting a job post graduation.
I know my GPA is low, what universities among the top 10-15 do I have a realistic chance to get in if I apply?

Thanks in advance!