doubt CR 7

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt CR 7

by aditya8062 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:24 am
Diomedes Motors has just decided to start using Rapilux Tires on most models of its new cars. The tires cost the same as the previous tires, and the change in tires will not change the sticker price of any car, nor will it change the profit on the sale of any particular car. Nevertheless, the CEO of Diomedes Motors expects this change in tires to increase Diomedes' profits in the coming year.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best reason for the expectation?
A.The new Rapilux Tires facilitate loading the new cars onto the trucks that deliver them to the Diomedes showroom.

B.The change to Rapilux Tires in most Diomedes models moves those models to the highest safety rating category; several national consumer advocacy groups give focused advertising to cars in this category.

C.Since Diomedes has replaced the tires on only some of its models, it can continue to accommodate car buyers who prefer the older tire type.

D.Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.

E.Some of the tires previously used on these particular Diomedes models are being phased out by those tire manufacturers, and would have to be replaced anyway, and no tire that would fit these Diomedes Models is any cheaper than the Rapilux Tires chosen

my doubt: To me both B and D seem viable. how do i accept one and reject other?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:59 am
aditya8062 wrote:Diomedes Motors has just decided to start using Rapilux Tires on most models of its new cars. The tires cost the same as the previous tires, and the change in tires will not change the sticker price of any car, nor will it change the profit on the sale of any particular car. Nevertheless, the CEO of Diomedes Motors expects this change in tires to increase Diomedes' profits in the coming year.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best reason for the expectation?
A.The new Rapilux Tires facilitate loading the new cars onto the trucks that deliver them to the Diomedes showroom.

B.The change to Rapilux Tires in most Diomedes models moves those models to the highest safety rating category; several national consumer advocacy groups give focused advertising to cars in this category.

C.Since Diomedes has replaced the tires on only some of its models, it can continue to accommodate car buyers who prefer the older tire type.

D.Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.

E.Some of the tires previously used on these particular Diomedes models are being phased out by those tire manufacturers, and would have to be replaced anyway, and no tire that would fit these Diomedes Models is any cheaper than the Rapilux Tires chosen

my doubt: To me both B and D seem viable. how do i accept one and reject other?
To support the conclusion that profits will INCREASE, the correct answer choice must show how Rapllux tires are BETTER than the previous tires.
B: The change to Rapilux Tires in most Diomedes models moves those models to the highest safety rating category; several national consumer advocacy groups give focused advertising to cars in this category.
This answer choice shows how Rapilux tires are better then the previous tires.
Hold onto B.
D: Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.
This answer choice does NOT show how Rapilux tires are better than the previous tires.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:47 am
Thanks Guru for your reply

kindly tell me the following

D says: Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.---->is this statement not implying that NOW (because the tires have been changed) MORE people are going to buy this model?

will it be wrong to say that the fact that "change of tires" has brought the change in the perception of buyers does prove that there is some added advantage?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:31 am
aditya8062 wrote:Thanks Guru for your reply

kindly tell me the following

D says: Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.---->is this statement not implying that NOW (because the tires have been changed) MORE people are going to buy this model?

will it be wrong to say that the fact that "change of tires" has brought the change in the perception of buyers does prove that there is some added advantage?

Thanks
D implies only that the change in tires will not deter people from buying Diomedes cars; it does NOT imply that the change in tires will INDUCE people to buy Diomedes cars.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Paras_0111 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:26 am
I am confused btw A and B. How is B any better than A? e.g. earlier company might be using a machine to load the vehicles into trucks and that cost has now been eliminated which will lead to increased profits. Please clarify. Thanks!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:47 am
Paras_0111 wrote:I am confused btw A and B. How is B any better than A? e.g. earlier company might be using a machine to load the vehicles into trucks and that cost has now been eliminated which will lead to increased profits. Please clarify. Thanks!
It is stated as a PREMISE that usage of the new tires will NOT change the profit on the sale of any particular car.
Answer choice A -- which suggests that usage of the new tires might reduce transportation costs -- attempts to refute this premise.
A premise is a FACT.
It cannot be refuted.
Eliminate any answer choice that attempts to refute a premise.
Eliminate A.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3