Please review my essay

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please review my essay

by arpithamouli » Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 pm
Hi Guys,

I attempted my first essay. Kindly spare few minutes to review it and provide me with your valuable feed back.

Thanks,
Arpitha

The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper:

Management is a craft, rooted in experience. But one cannot teach the craft to people who lack the experience. Those who believe they have learned management by sitting still in an MBA classroom are a menace to society.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion
The argument claims that management is a craft rooted in experience and cannot be taught to people who lack experience. This argument relies heavily on unverified assumptions and has a very extreme conclusion. The author fails to make logical connections between the evidence provided and the conclusion that people who learn management by sitting in MBA classrooms are a menace to the society.

The first problem with the argument is that it suffers from unsubstantiated claim. The first evidence that is given to support the extreme conclusion is that the management is a craft, which can be acquired by people only through experience. This statement is also extreme because it infers that managerial skills is no where concerned with people's thought process and their art of execution. The author should clarify this statement by grouping people together or using a more vague statement that would include most people but not all.

Second, The next statement in the argument is conditional phrase stating that the people who study Management by sitting in class are menace to the society, which in turn creates a cumbersome, offensive and discouraging statement. For example, there are many fresh outputs form MBA colleges that have made to the topmost positions in many blooming top companies and have bought in dramatic changes to the company's well being. The author should not only consider management as a craft that could be inculcated by experience but, should also perceive it as a craft that people may be born with and they go to colleges to pursue their dreams of mastering the Managerial skills.

Finally, the argument concludes that people who pursue the management skill by sitting in classrooms end up becoming threat to the society. From this statement again, it is not at all clear, how independent student's or manager's ability of becoming a great managers has to do with his or her experience. Without having a strong supporting statistical evidence or examples, where people studying in classrooms make a threat to the society, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence. As a result, this conclusion has no legs to stand on.

In conclusion, the argument suffers from logical flaws and makes an extreme conclusion based on unproven assumptions. The addition of hard examples and connections between the statements would prove to strengthen the argument."