Paper and pencil

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Paper and pencil

by prada » Fri May 20, 2016 3:07 pm
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. I remember when I did the GMAT a couple years ago I had a bad experience because they forced us to use a plastic sheet and a marker. That smudges the writing and instead of thin writing it was thick smudge. For a test so important as this we can't really afford to make a mistake between o and a or 7 and 1 or 8 and B and 3 or 2 and s. Finally after having spent decades writing with a pen or pencil on paper, why do we have to write on a plastic sheet with a marker?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat May 21, 2016 12:36 pm
Hi prada,

In real basic terms, the laminated pad and marker are 'secure' objects that a Test Taker can't fake. With paper, a Test Taker might be able to 'sneak in' notes or other knowledge to help him/her cheat on the Exam. With a laminated pad, that's not really possible. All things being equal though, the pad is pretty big, its pages are double-sided and working with a new/different style of writing implement is a skill that most people should be okay with.

If you're finding it difficult, then you can always purchase a market/pad set so that you can put in the necessary practice time to work effectively in that medium.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat May 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Rich is exactly right. It's annoying for test-takers (especially left-handed ones), but understandable from GMAC's perspective.

Manhattan Prep sells a practice one if you'd like to get used to using it: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/stor ... nd-marker/
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education