book query

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

book query

by krishhxa » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:31 am
Hey i am going to give my first gmat attempt next month.Just wanted to know what is the difference in content of official guide verbal, quant review and the official guide gmat review. Do we need to buy all 3 of them or buying og gmat review would contain the same content as verbal and quant review?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:08 am
Hi krishhxa,

The main OG is a great book for practice questions (and most Test Takers use some version of that book during their studies). The subject-specific books can also be useful if you're looking for additional practice question in either the Quant or Verbal. However, any combination of those 3 books will likely NOT be enough study material for you to achieve your goals. They are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you the Tactics, patterns or little 'secrets' to the GMAT. As such, you'll likely need a wider array of practice materials.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) Have you done any studying for the GMAT so far?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by krishhxa » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:13 am
Hi rich,

I have my gmat scheduled in a month.I have not started my studies.My goal is a 750+ score. Would like to know so buying only og n not the other counterparts would do the same?further i have borrowed the older version of powerscore will that be good enough or should i go and buyvthe new edition?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:41 am
Hi krishhxa,

To start, you might want to pose your questions in the General Strategy Forum here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-strategy-f3.html

Given what you've described, you will likely find it difficult to score 750+ with just one month of studying. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you have not started yet, we don't even have a sense of your current abilities, strengths and weaknesses.

Since you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]