Exam Pack 2: SC (Tense + idiom) Financial Analysts

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:670
Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

(a) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was

(b) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(c) still continue pouring money into the stock market in the belief that the American economy as

(d) still continued pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(e) continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was

[spoiler]OA:E[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The way i see it the mistkaes in option D) are:
-Continued pouring: Idiom mistake should be continued to pour
-Believing X as : another idiom mistake it should be believe to be or in the belief that like in option E
Experts is " believing" correctly modifying the sentence before, that investors continued to pour money ?[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:43 am
joealam1 wrote:Financial analysts said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

(a) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was

(b) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(c) still continue pouring money into the stock market in the belief that the American economy as

(d) still continued pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(e) continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the American economy was
A, B and C: analysts...were surprised that...investors continue
It is not possible that analysts were surprised -- IN THE PAST -- with regard to an action happening NOW (investors continue).
Eliminate A, B and C.

X still does Y means X continues to do Y.
Thus in D, still continued is redundant.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Score:670

by joealam1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:48 am
Hi Mitch,

Is there any other problems with option D) like idiom issues
Is "continued pouring" or "believing...as"correct?
Is "believing" a correct modifier of the phrase before?
Thanks.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ashwinchivukula » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 am
In B, C & D, is the phrase - "in the American economy as" correct?
I used this to eliminate B, C & D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:204 members

by Ali Tariq » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:32 pm
believe X as Y is an incorrect idiom.
Correct idiom is believe X to be Y

have a look at the following official SCs( emphasized parts)
Providing initial evidence that airports are a larger source of pollution than they were once believed to be, environmentalists in Chicago report that the total amount of pollutant emitted by annually by vehicles at the O'hare International airport is twice as much as that which is being emitted annually by all motor vehicles in the Chicago Metro area

A) as much as that which is being emitted annually by all
B) as much annually as is emitted by the
C) as much compared to what is annually emitted by all
D) that emitted annually by all
E) that emitted annually compared to
OA D

The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

(A) merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

(B) as mere scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include

(C) as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes

(D) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes

(E) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including
OA E

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow
OA E

Contact for drastic improvement in just a few days.

by meenakshimiyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm
Answer choice A, B and C could be eliminated on the grounds of wrong tense. The sentence is in Simple past tense while choice A, B and C are in present tense.
Now, we need to understand a concept. "Believe X to be Y" is correct, but "believe in X to be Y" does not make sense "Believe in" means "to have faith in" - with "believe in", "to be ..." does not go. So, Choice D is wrong. Hence, E is the answer.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 am
joealam1 wrote:Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

(e) continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was

look at choice d and e.
we need an idea which complement the "belief". this idea is presented by a clause. we believe that the economy was balance. we do not believe in an economy as in choice d. a noun can modify "the belief" but not all noun can do so.
I believe in your effort. this is good
I believe in the recovery of the economy. this is good
I believe in the economy . this is not good for this context.
so, choice d make illogical thing