Low GPA

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Low GPA

by yash188 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:02 pm
Hi,

I have a GPA of around 1.5 when converted into the 1-4 point system. I know its very low and want to know if it can be compensated with a high GMAT score and excellent essays and SOPS when writing the application. I have 4 years of experience and will have around 5 years worth of experience by the time i join a university.

Also, i don't have much extra curricular records to show but i do have an excellent work record and will be reflected in my recommendations. And i do have time to add some extra curricular activities to my resume.

I am aiming for the top 30-60 universities and I am also well aware of the fact that clearing the GMAT score is just one of the many criteria.

Considering all this, will it be really detrimental for me to have such low GPA?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:23 pm
Hi yash188,

Do you know which Schools you're specifically interested in? I ask because it will be a bit easier to evaluate your situation if you can define the Schools you plan to apply to.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by yash188 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:52 pm
Hi Rich,

Right now i have only outlined a few schools as i have over 9 months to research and prepare applications.

Few of the schools i am interested in are, not necessarily in the given order:

1. Kelly School of Business
2. UT Austin, Texas
3. Purdue
4. Rotman School of Management
5. Melbourne School of Business
6. Indian School of Business

Is there any chance these schools might not focus on the low gpa and at least read my application.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:01 am
Hi yash188,

You've given yourself plenty of time to work on the aspects of your application that can be improved, which is great. I'm not an expert on any particular Business School though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall situation. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

There are some things that you can do to 'overshadow' a lower GPA in your application. Having a higher GMAT Score would certainly help (since that score is a measure of the type of thinker that you are NOW). You could also take some College 'Extension' classes (such as Statistics or Calculus) - by scoring at a high level in those types of classes, you can show that you're currently able to handle the higher-level thinking that you'll be asked to do in Business School.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by yash188 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:01 am
Thanks Rick for pointing out high GMAT scores may matter as I was under the impression that if we clear the cutoffs, they didn't matter much after that. And thanks for the link to the forum. I posted the query there as well.
I am not really sure if we can avail college extensions in my country. But i will certainly look into it and as you said try and improve other aspects of my application.
Regards,
Yash

by yash188 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:47 am
Hi,

I actually converted wrong. My GPA is around 2.7. I know its nothing great but at least its not a deal breaker like 1.5 which is a huge relief.
Regards,
Yash