Guidance for GMAT course

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Guidance for GMAT course

by Abhishek Sharma » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:49 am
Hi All,

Its my first post on this forum, apologies if I get this wrong.

Intention
- Already an MBA, working in a Bank, want to extend knowledge/career opportunities/exposure. Currently not satisfied with opportunities I am getting.

My case
I am an engineer (CGPA 9/10) and a MBA Post Grad (Finance 2.4/4) with 4.5 years of banking experience.Extra curricular activities are mostly into sports at corporate and university level, with dramatics playing a part too.

Could anyone please let me know the courses I can (/should) take via GMAT and the score required for the same. I haven't started preparing yet, and have time on my side. Need to make the correct decision.
Would a course in Strategy be a god bet? if yes then please suggest schools. If no, please suggest why and/or different courses and schools.

I understand this is a very open ended question. Appreciate your help and guidance!
Please do point me in the right direction if this is not the correct forum.

Regards,
AS

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:01 am
your question seems a little broad. In terms of preparing for the GMAT, while I don't have personal experience with the process, VeritasPrep is worth looking at (Clear Admit does support / promote VeritasPrep). GMAC.com also has some pretty good resources for preparation, they own the GMAT. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Abhishek Sharma » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:34 pm
Thanks Alex for the feedback, I'll surely check out the sources you've mentioned.

Being a first, I did realize it was a very broad question. Let me narrow down my concern further.

I need an idea of what MBA course I should take and which school would be good, with my concerns being around the same. I have been talking to colleagues (ex now) who have converted calls from a few Ivy league colleges and haven't received a congruous feedback. It may be because this was their first post grad course and hence the feedback may not have been best applicable for my case.

Questions/concerns:-
  • - Post a GMAT (assuming I achieve a decent score) I intend to pursue a course in Strategy or a course that is related to Economics. I wanted to know which schools would be best for Strategy and the GMAT score required to have a shot at them? (Need to be in the top 30 at least, B school ranking)
    - Additionally, I was told that already being an MBA would be a hindrance in getting through a good school, is that correct?
    - Would prefer a one year course.
I can imagine its a specific set of schools I am asking for and am hoping I get a target set to then start preparing for.

AS

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:00 am
I think key right now is to just get the best GMAT score you can. Strategy and Economics are integral to most top MBA programs. Economics more so in the core courses, Strategy can become a major focus, or is part of a general management education. Having an MBA already, you will need to justify, in your application, why you need a second MBA. If you are focused on 1 year programs, in the top 30, you are limiting your choice significantly. Euro top schools may be a good option to seek out. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/