my score.please help

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

my score.please help

by nishantdoshi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:08 am
today i took the gmatprep practice test and only managed to score 390. even though i was clueless about the topics still i know its a very bad score to start with. i dont know how to start studying now because its very depressing to score this low. please please help

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:53 am
Hi hishantdoshi,

Many Test Takers are unhappy with their initial CAT scores, so you're not alone. Every CAT result is a 'learning experience' - right now, you've learned that you have a number of 'weak' areas that you have to work on, you've gathered some knowledge/experience about what it takes to face a CAT and now you can get to work on improving your skills.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by nishantdoshi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:02 am
@rich.c Thanks for the reply but dont you think very very low for a first timer also.
My goal is anything above 690 and i am planning to take the gmat in december but now i think it will much more difficult to score 690 given the circumstances..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:12 am
Hi nishantdoshi,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) to hit their 'peak' scores. To raise a 390 to a 690 will take some serious work - and that work will require a serious commitment of your time, energy and resources. With a possible December Test Date, you might not have enough time to hit your score goals, which means one of two things:

1) You change your goals.
2) You study beyond December until you hit this current goal.

The good news is that the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You need to provide the right energy and commitment to the task and you have to work with the proper resources.

1) Have you purchased any materials yet?

Rich

by nishantdoshi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:23 am
@rich.c to change the current goal is not an option but the test taking time could be january 1 week as most the of the application deadlines are in january so i cannot miss those deadlines.

I didnot understand when you said "gmat is a predictable test" can you please elaborate it

Yes i have purchased a few books
1) OG review
2) OG verbal review
3) OG quant. Review
4) Mgmat sentence correction guide

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:52 am
Hi nishantdoshi,

You don't have to make any big decisions about your Official Test Date just yet (you can always reschedule it as needed or retake the GMAT 16 after you take it for the first time). If you want to choose a Test Date and officially schedule your Exam (so that you can 'lock in' the date), then that's fine though.

The GMAT tests the same general Quant/Verbal concepts again-and-again, along with some overall 'tests' of your critical thinking skills, organization, pacing, etc. ALL of these things are predictable, so beyond learning content (math and grammar rules), you also have to learn the patterns, logic, Tactics, etc. that this Test is built on. Ultimately, YOU are responsible for your own performance, but you CAN learn a lot about this Test (and train to face it) before you actually take it.

While you can begin your studies with the books that you have, many Test Takers get 'stuck' at a certain scoring level when using a 'book-heavy' study approach. As such, you'll probably want to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Rich

by nishantdoshi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:51 am
Thanks for the details rick

Can you help me out with some self study plans or guides. It would really mean a lot.