Help Required to start GMAT Preparation

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help Required to start GMAT Preparation

by GMAT4IVY » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:14 am
Hello,
I am a first time GMAT taker and have not started any preparations yet.
Could you please advise what are the best online coaching options.
I am targeting the April 2016 admissions in one among the top 20 business schools in the US and hence aim at scoring accordingly (730 and above)
I need a lot of help with Quant and some help with Verbal.

I talked to a few coaching centers and they advise that I should target taking GMAT in Dec so as to target April 2016 admissions.
I was thinking of taking GMAT by mid Jan or Jan end. Will it be too late?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:00 pm
Hi GMAT4IVY,

Since you're just starting out, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. If you want to study for a little bit beforehand, so that you can get a better sense of the content and question types, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that first CAT. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are LOTS of options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

With a December or January Test Date, you have plenty of time to study and hit your score goals. You'll have to be consistent and diligent though - studying for the GMAT is similar to having a part-time job, so you'll have to work to schedule consistent study time.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]