Veritas Test

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Veritas Test

by sandipgumtya » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:00 pm
Today I had one full length veritas test and I scored a dismal 610.I have scored in the range of 660-690 in official GMAT tests.The score is really hitting my self-confidence.IR-6,Quant-43 and Verb-31

Experts pl help what should i do now,which area should i focus.
Pl help me out.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:53 am
Today I had one full length veritas test and I scored a dismal 610.I have scored in the range of 660-690 in official GMAT tests.The score is really hitting my self-confidence.IR-6,Quant-43 and Verb-31

Experts pl help what should i do now,which area should i focus.
Pl help me out.
No single practice exam should ever hurt your confidence very much, particularly since you'd been scoring higher on the official practice exams, which are the best indicator of where you currently stand. (Even if it were an official exam, you see a good amount of fluctuation sometimes. Everyone has the occasional off-day.) The point of a practice exam isn't to see a good score and feel confident. It's to derive strategic adjustments that you can use when you take the official test. Think of it this way: a 610 that gives you some good insight into some bad habits that you can then change is a much more useful test than a 720 that is the result of good guessing. So break down that test. Categorize your mistakes (careless mistake; did lengthy algebra when I could have picked simple numbers; timing issues; low hit rate on Sentence Correction, etc.) Then try to come up with 4-5 concrete adjustments that you can make before the next exam. Post anything you're stuck on here. Wash/rinse/repeat. Sure, it's nice to see 740 on a practice test, but it's much better to do it on one that actually counts.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sandipgumtya » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:53 am
Thanks David.
Can u pl give me more insight about my score.I usually got 47-48 in math but here its much lower same for verbal.
Thanks in adv.

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:47 am
There are several potential explanations to account for the discrepancy between your score on the Veritas test, and what you had been scoring on the GMATPrep exams. It's possible you made a few careless mistakes on some questions that the algorithm deemed easier. (Take a look at the statistics of any given question by clicking on the "solution" button when you're reviewing. You can see what percentage of test-takers, historically, have answered the question correctly.) It's possible you just had an off-day. It's possible our algorithm simply underestimated your ability, etc. The fact that there are so many potential explanatory variables is why you don't want to fixate too much on a single outcome. Statistical fluctuations are natural for everyone.

(The most extreme swing I've seen involved one student who scored a 570 on his second-to-last GMATPrep exam and then scored 770 on the official exam. While his kind of fluctuation is very rare, both tests were outliers for him. He'd been averaging about 700 on his practice tests. The 570 was an unusually bad day. The 770 was an unusually good one. Both were anomalies.)

So I'd treat the 610 as one tiny data point. More importantly, you want to break the test down, really dissect it, to see if there are any strategic nuggets that you can carry over to the next practice test you take. What you care about are general trends. So if you were to take another GMATPrep test and score a 600, well, that might mean something. But if your next test is a 710, we can write off that 610 as an outlier, and simply use it as a tool for improvement going forward.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:27 am
(And if you're curious about how the algorithm works, see here: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/07 ... mat-score/)

Veritas Prep Reviews