LSAT Assumption Question June 1995

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

LSAT Assumption Question June 1995

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 pm
Here is another assumption question to try. It is in conjunction with this article https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/06/ ... -an-expert

Organization president: The stationary and envelopes used in all of the mailings from our national headquarters are made from recycled paper, and we never put anything but letters in the envelopes. When the envelopes have windows, those windows are also made from recycled material. Therefore the envelopes, and thus the mailings, are completely recyclable.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the organization president's argument depends?

A) All the paper used by the organization for purposes other than mailings is recycled.

B) The mailings from the organization's national headquarters always use envelopes that have windows.

C) The envelope windows made from recycled material are recyclable.

D) The envelopes and stationary used in the organization's mailings are always recycled.

E) The organization sends mailings only from its national headquarters.

Official Answer after a little discussion...
Last edited by David@VeritasPrep on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by HBSEntrant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 pm
Is E the answer?

by Sherry Au » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm
Its C. isnt it? There is a gap right there.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by niketdoshi123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Here is another assumption question to try. It is in conjunction with this article https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/06/ ... -an-expert

Organization president: The stationary and envelopes used in all of the mailings from our national headquarters are made from recycled paper, and we never put anything but letters in the envelopes. When the envelopes have windows, those windows are also made from recycled material. Therefore the envelopes, and thus the mailings, are completely recyclable.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the organization president's argument depends?
A) All the paper used by the organization for purposes other than mailings is recycled. => out of scope/new information

B) The mailings from the organization's national headquarters always use envelopes that have windows. => Extreme as well as new information

C) The envelope windows made from recycled material are recyclable. => If the envelope windows are not recyclable then the envelopes cannot be completely recyclable.

D) The envelopes and stationary used in the organization's mailings are always recycled. =>out of scope and extreme.

E) The organization sends mailings only from its national headquarters. => Extreme

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rajcools » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:47 pm
C

C) The envelope windows made from recycled material are recyclable.

using infomercial
if The envelope windows made from recycled material are not recyclable ,then the mailings are not recyclable.
But C clarifies that they r cyclable

Followed by:2 members

by sandeep_thaparianz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:14 am
+1 for C

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:01 am
Organization president:
The stationary and envelopes used in all of the mailings from our national headquarters are made from recycled paper, and we never put anything but letters in the envelopes. - facts
When the envelopes have windows, those windows are also made from recycled material. - facts
Therefore the envelopes, and thus the mailings, are completely recyclable. - conclusion.

A. this is out of scope. If the argument discuss "X", then we are not concerned for what is "not X".

B. the argument don't discuss what the national headquarter always do --- or sometimes do -- irrelevant, out of scope.

C - yes, its assumed here that what is "recycled" is "recyclable". This is an assumption in a supporter role.

D - there is a difference between "recyclable" and "are recycled".

"recyclable" is a property that the conclusion mention - "are recycled" is a passive voice, its an action taken by someone. We cannot assume that all those material
those are recycled are always completely recyclable. This is too irrelevant.

E - again irrelevant.

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:39 am
My vote is also for C.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:23 am
OA is C.

Terrific discussion by all who answered.

As rajcools put it choice C brings out a possible flaw in the argument and then prevents that flaw.

Conclusion: the envelopes are completely recyclable.

Evidence: when envelopes have windows, those windows are also made from recycled material.

It all sounds good. But what if the windows are not recyclable? That would be a problem. Yet, choice C tells us that they are recyclable so that prevents our evidence and conclusion from being harmed. That is just want we want. Not new completely new evidence, but protecting our current evidence and conclusion from harm.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by ajaysharma003 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 pm
Hi David,

First of all, I want to say a big Thank you for your article on "Approaching assumptions questions like an expert". It gave me a new perspective on how to approach Assumption questions.

For this question, I got the right answer, but I was thinking can we eliminate all other choices just on the basis of them being extreme?

I know this technique is not a foolproof technique but i was wondering whether i can use this technique to eliminate an answer choice in case i am not sure of it.

Again Thank you for your efforts.

by kutlee » Tue May 26, 2015 7:51 pm
Hi David,
C is no doubt the answer. But there is a slight hint on E being the answer.
How do you rule out E? the argument begins with premise that mails are sent from national headquarters. The conclusion states that - Therefore the envelopes, and thus the mailings, are completely recyclable. So An assumption can be that mailings are only sent from the headquarters.
Thanks,
Mahesh.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 27, 2015 3:34 am
kutlee wrote: How do you rule out E? the argument begins with premise that mails are sent from national headquarters. The conclusion states that - Therefore the envelopes, and thus the mailings, are completely recyclable. So An assumption can be that mailings are only sent from the headquarters.
Thanks,
Mahesh.
Conclusion: Therefore THE envelopes, and thus THE mailings, are completely recyclable.
Here, THE envelopes and THE mailings clearly refer to THE envelopes used in all of THE mailings from our national headquarters.
Since the conclusion is limited to these mailings, any answer choice about envelopes and mailings from OTHER sources is irrelevant.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3