OG 13 CR

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

OG 13 CR

by Md Raihan Uddin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:03 am
While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.

Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?

(A) Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.

(B) The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.

(C) Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.

(D) Short plants are less vulnerable to strong wind and heavy rains.

(E) Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.

I have confusion in this question. I understand why D is answer. But don't understand why C is not the answer. Please clear my doubt

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:15 pm
Hi Md Raihan Uddin,

In this prompt, we're told that genetic manipulation of food crops implies the development of larger plant varieties. We're then told that some plant breeders are focused on producing DWARF varieties (meaning smaller plants instead of larger plants). These breeders must have a good REASON for doing that - a reason that implies that smaller plants have some advantage over larger plants. Answer C does not seem to differentiate between a small plant from a large plant and does not give us a reason why one would be preferable to another. The correct answer explains WHY a breeder might want to breed a smaller plant by explaining an advantage of a smaller plant.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Md Raihan Uddin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:21 pm
Not clear yet. If C is true we get reason for choosing smaller plants rather than larger plants.

Isn't C a type of reasoning to choose smaller plants?
If D was not in the option Could C be correct? If not, why? I think it is showing a reason

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:57 pm
Hi Md Raihan Uddin,

Answer C merely tells us that plants that were once just for human consumption are now used for human consumption and animal feed. It does NOT give us a reason for why the breeders would want to produce a smaller plant. Is a smaller plant or larger plant "better" for feeding animals? We don't know, so the information in C CAN'T be a reason to breed a smaller plant.

Rich

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:46 pm
How about option A?
Option A does tell us why there might be a demand Of small varieties . Now if there is a demand of small or dwarf plants then there is a reason to believe as why planters are growing them

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:18 pm
Hi aditya8062,

If Answer A actually mentioned "dwarf varieties", then I might agree with you. However, it only mentions "varieties" in general. Since the prompt focuses specifically on dwarf varieties, we need a reason why breeders would choose to produce dwarf varieties (and not "varieties" in general). In real basic terms, Answer A is too broad.

Rich

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:38 pm
If Answer A actually mentioned "dwarf varieties", then I might agree with you. However, it only mentions "varieties" in general. Since the prompt focuses specifically on dwarf varieties, we need a reason why breeders would choose to produce dwarf varieties (and not "varieties" in general). In real basic terms, Answer A is too broad.
any viable answer choice should open up the vista so as i can see the argument as possibility.
The interpretation of A is as follows:

A says: Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamental by others. ------------->this is implying that bigger plant varieties can be used as food while smaller varieties can be used as ornaments