Profile Review

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Review

by abhibharadwaj » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:29 am
Hi
Here is my profile:

GMAT-740 (Q50,V38)
IR-7
AWA-5

GPA-3.1/5
10th-88%
12-94%

-have 3 years of experience as a Software developer in Accenture(Engineering Background)
-Was the lead of Technical and Cultural committee of the college
-was the student union representative of my engineering batch of 2007-2011
-worked in NGO for almost an year
-part of public interest club which works for the betterment of poor people
-very good in football and cricket.played state level in football.
-also very good in extracurricular activities.have won many awards for cultural activities in inter college fests.

Please review this and let me know if my profile is good enough.
i was thinking of applying to ISB,Kellog,Yale.
any other good colleges ?
is my profile sufficient ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:33 am
Hello Abhi

Your GMAT score is impressive and will offset your GPA and is a much needed score for an applicant with IT background. If you are applying to schools in USA, I suggest you get your GPA converted to the 4 point scale.

You need to tell me more about your work experience for a better profile evaluation. Remember, GMAT alone is not enough to get you in. One needs a solid work experience as well to make it to the top schools. at Accenture, what kind of projects did you work on? Did you assume any leadership roles? Any travels abroad? Were you promoted during these three years? B-school adcoms would want to know how you would contribute to their MBA class with this work experience.

Were you part of any extracurricular activities during your work experience. You have many interesting experiences from your college and it would be better if you had ECs from your work or outside of work to bolster your profile. In your essays, you should discuss about the leadership positions you held during college. Focus on the outcome and your achievements more than your involvement in any activity. Tell me more about your involvement with the NGO and the Public Interest club. You can also talk about your achievements during college. You have played football on state level. Did you win any of these competitions?

What are your post MBA goals and why do you want to pursue MBA? I will be able to suggest more schools based on your goals. Kellogg could be a little ambitious for you. ISB and Yale could be reach or ambitious depending on your work experience and goals.

You can check out this article to get an idea about the six components of a competitive business school application https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

Do get back to me

All the best

www.interviewbay.com

Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

by abhibharadwaj » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:30 am
About my Work Experience in Accenture I mainly worked as a Software Developer and did manage a team of 5 people.
Have been promoted once in these 3 years and always got the top rating whenever i was rated.
Also in Accenture i am the Cultural Lead of the Community which takes care of all the events in Accenture Bangalore office.
Also i have 2-3 trophies for participating in Accenture Games.

In NGO i worked as a full time member there teaching the poor kids games as well as study related things.
While being member of public interest club ,we organize events and all to help the needy like mass-level food,clothes distribution.

I did play state level football but we did not win the competition.But I have participation level certificate.Would that sufficE?

I had heard about the approach of selecting schools based on the criteria:
2- dream colleges
2- within reach
2-sure shot

can you tell me which all colleges can i put into this category ?

by abhibharadwaj » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:30 am
please reply!!!

by interviewbay22 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:39 am
Hello again Abhi

It looks like there are many elements in your profile to show that you are an achiever with leadership and organizational skills which is nearly an imperative for B-school applicants. In your essays, discuss how your consistent top ratings led to a promotion. Discuss the outcomes of the projects that you worked on while leading a team of five as this would highlight your performance as a leader. You can talk about the events you organized as the cultural lead of the community at Accenture.

Having substantial volunteer experience is an added advantage. Talk about the events you organized and how successful they were - how many people donated food, etc. You can mention your passion for soccer and other games, how competitive it is to play at state level and how you continued it at Accenture.

That is indeed the way you should shortlist your schools. HBS, Stanford, Wharton and Booth will be dream schools for you. Top 10 - 20 schools would be within reach and beyond 20 should be safe. You have not told me about your post MBA goals and why you want to pursue an MBA. Based on that I can be more specific in suggesting schools.

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

by abhibharadwaj » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:17 pm
Hi,

I wanted to do MBA in Finance and develop my career in Financial Industry.
I have shortlisted few colleges based on the above criteria.

Dream Colleges- Booth, Kellog, INSEAD
Within Reach- ISB,Berkeley
Sure Shot- UCLA,Ross,National University of Singapore

I am not sure whether i have classified them into the right slots.
Need your inputs on this. and if possible if you can suggest me to consider what all other universities instead of these ?

by interviewbay22 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:01 pm
Hello again

Why finance? Do you have any experience in the industry or relevant interactions with people working in finance? In your essays, it would help if you were more specific - IB or M&A - which particular field in finance. You could also be more specific about your goal - long term and short term. In addition, what have you done to understand the field of finance better? If you have taken serious steps to understand it better, it would bolster your goals and convince the adcoms that your are serious about pursuing Finance and therefore you need MBA.

I wouldn't say that UCB - Haas is safe. But you certainly have a good chance of making it into ISB. I would say that NUS should be safe. Ross could be a little competitive as it is one of the top schools for finance. This article can help you categorize schools better https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/top-mb ... in-finance

All the best
www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School