Verbal strategy

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Verbal strategy

by utpalsinha25 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:00 am
Hi Everyone,
this is going to be my first post on this forum.
I would like to request all forum members to advice me how to get started for GMAT for 730+.
Specially how to study verbal ,i guess this is my weak point.

So kindly share your valuable suggestions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:41 pm
Hi utpalsinha25,

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT Forums. To help you plan out your studies, I'd like to know a bit more about your plans:

1) Have you done any studying so far?
2) Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Tests yet (or the Official GMAT)? If so, then what were your scores?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

If you have not taken any practice CAT Tests yet, then you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (the CATs come with some additional practice materials). You should take an ENTIRE CAT and report back with your scores. A CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so you should be sure to set aside enough time to take one.

Most Test Takers need 3 months (or more) of consistent study time to hit their goals, so you need to have enough time to commit to this task.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:33 pm
Welcome to BTG!

For Verbal, you need to MASTER Sentence Correction. No joke. Run, don't walk to Amazon and purchase the MGMAT Sentence Correction book. I don't even work for MGMAT, but I suggest their book to almost every student I tutor. It's fantastic!

You also need to get the OG15, and you may also want the Verbal supplement put out by GMAC.

For CR, I'd recommend buying Powerscore CR.

For RC, the passages in the OG are enough to practice, but I personally like Veritas Prep's RC book for additional practice.

Use the 6 MGMAT CATs and the 4 GMATPrep CATs and aim to do one a week, completing an Error Log to help you thoroughly identify your weak concepts. I attached a template here as well as a list of all the tested concepts on the GMAT so you can get some ideas to get started.

Feel free to read more free strategy advice on my blog: https://gmatrockstar.com/category/gmat-verbal/

PM if you have additional questions!

Best,
Vivian
Attachments
Error Log Template.xlsx
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
GMAT Concepts.docx
(19.6 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)