Help! Unexpectly low score

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help! Unexpectly low score

by szaronsj » Fri May 11, 2007 9:34 am
Just took test, got a 610. Was shooting for 700+... this week's practice results:

PR: 690
GMATPrep: 730
PR: 760

So... what happened? I feel like I"m in a state of shock. My quant was 45th percentile and that has been my strong suit, scorign in the 99th.

Any thoughts appreciated. Will this kill my chances of getting into a top school?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Help! Unexpectly low score

by beatthegmat » Fri May 11, 2007 5:58 pm
szaronsj wrote:Just took test, got a 610. Was shooting for 700+... this week's practice results:

PR: 690
GMATPrep: 730
PR: 760

So... what happened? I feel like I"m in a state of shock. My quant was 45th percentile and that has been my strong suit, scorign in the 99th.

Any thoughts appreciated. Will this kill my chances of getting into a top school?
Your practice test scores were certainly solid--seems like you were indeed within striking range of a 700+.

Did you feel nervous during the test? Do you have a history of performance anxiety in previous standardized tests?

Rest assured, this score will not "kill" your chances of getting into a top school: (1) the score actually isn't too bad; (2) re-taking the test is normal. Admissions folks will consider your highest test score; and (3) the GMAT is only one of many factors considered for admission.

Don't give up! This community is here to help you succeed, so let's get you back on track!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by szaronsj » Sun May 13, 2007 7:10 am
thanks!

Any suggestions for how to prepare? I've pretty much exhausted materials from Priceton Review, OG, and Kaplan.

I think taking full-length practice tests helps me the most.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed May 16, 2007 7:09 pm
szaronsj wrote:thanks!

Any suggestions for how to prepare? I've pretty much exhausted materials from Priceton Review, OG, and Kaplan.

I think taking full-length practice tests helps me the most.
I agree that taking full-length practice tests would probably serve you the best. Try to take the tests in a simulated environment that matches the real test center fairly well.

When I took my practice tests, I positioned myself in a somewhat trafficked area of a library to get used to ambient noise, other people, etc.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed May 16, 2007 9:26 pm
Yes! You seriously should think of retaking the test if you think you deserve a better score.

roam 'round and dig archives at strategy section you'll find similar cases there.
ATB. 8)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Nisha1218 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:16 am
szaronsj - I'm in the same state...shocked by my real scores compared to my practice exams. Remember the beauty of the GMAT is that you can take it multiple times, and business schools will take the highest score. So my advice to you is take the GMAT a second time, and beat it! Gluck!